The rear leg

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

You are way downstream....but once the barrel is launched the hips release and back leg takes over....the swing is over

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Jim my "whatever" didn't have a meaning of "you are wrong" More of a "real not interested in this right now and again, shouldn't have said anything."

Out

Mar 12, 2009
The hip joint.

This is an externally rotated position;

ir-er.gif

bench_er.jpg

You get from neutral to an externally rotated position, from activation of the muscles that connect the pelvis to the femur. They pull the greater trochanter of the head of the femur in a posterior direction, which opens the pelvis if you have weight on the back leg, or twists the toes away from the body, if the leg is unweighted.

You cannot open the hips (externally rotate) by internally rotating the back leg.

Are you talking about the front hip being externally rotated?

Aug 28, 2012
Jbooth (any anyone else who likes to play along at home),
When you stand up, feet shoulder width apart, weight evenly distributed, knees bent, facing a wall, toes pointed at wall and hips facing wall... can you move your right thigh (femur) back and forth with IR and ER action? Your feet remain pointed at the wall, the weight remains relatively evenly distributed, and your hips do not turn (nor do they shift laterally) but the relationship between femur and socket changes. Your knee will move in space going from a "knock-kneed" position when the femur is in IR to a "bow-legged" position when the femur is in an ER position. I think this movement is not abduction or adduction as there is no lateral shifting of the hips or shifting of weight, it's just an IR to ER and back to IR movement of the femur in the socket. Are you with me? Can you replicate this movement?
Cheers,
Noontime

From the position that you describe; Moving to knock-kneed is an adduction movement of the femur, and moving the knee out is abduction. To internally rotate, or externally rotate from that position, the foot must pivot.

So what you are saying is that when I am in the athletic stance with my knees bent, that muscle action causing that movement I describe is really adduction and abduction. I am with you. Thank you for clarifying that. Similarly, if I was seated in a chair and I did the same movement from knock-kneed to bow-legged, that muscle action is abduction and adduction.

Really what we are talking about is the resulting movement from abduction and adduction while the femur is in a flexed position yes?

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Not once it is unweighted it can't but prior to becoming unweighted it can.

That is why I asked if you could tell me from the clips provided when does the weight leave the rear leg.

I guess you missed my answer.
The weight is against the front side, on the front foot, while the swing is still in the lag position.

Hips are turning, and the rear foot gets pulled forward.
As many times i stare at high level swings in kinovea, i can see no great push from the rear foot, the dirt shows the toe is dragging.
The back foot looks like a walk off, from the side of the big toe.
From the quotes i have been reading, some of you think the swing happens before the bat even gets below the deltoid, and pure momentum, carries the rest of the swing through, riding the rear hip.
I love the one legged golfer analogy, like it proves the swing happens all because of the back leg.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Some teach their hitters to drive their rear knee down and in.
Can someone give me an education on this method?
What happens when the rear leg is used in this manner?

May 16, 2010
Are you talking about the front hip being externally rotated?

No, the rear hip.

The yellow line is a line from the head of the femur through the greater trochanter.

The red line is from the edge of the rear acetabulum to the front acetabulum.

That is an externally rotated angle of the rear hip.

bench_er3.jpg

May 16, 2010
I guess you missed my answer.
The weight is against the front side, on the front foot, while the swing is still in the lag position.

Hips are turning, and the rear foot gets pulled forward.
As many times i stare at high level swings in kinovea, i can see no great push from the rear foot, the dirt shows the toe is dragging.
The back foot looks like a walk off, from the side of the big toe.
From the quotes i have been reading, some of you think the swing happens before the bat even gets below the deltoid, and pure momentum, carries the rest of the swing through, riding the rear hip.
I love the one legged golfer analogy, like it proves the swing happens all because of the back leg.

There is definitely a push from the back foot, but you are correct as to the rest. The hands and barrel do not come around until weight is on the front foot, and the back foot is pulled forward after the initial push off of it.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1