The rear leg

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2009
It isn't crap. It's fact. You seem to be incapable of comprehending the facts.

I'm explaining the facts for anyone who is interested. When I teach, I pretty much tell them to coil, put the weight on the back foot and then push off of the inside of it. The body accomplishes that move as I have tried to explain to you many, many times. It's mostly abduction, followed by external rotation.

What is externally rotating?

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
HYP..., did you ask this question?...Also, can you or Booth explain when the rear leg loses the ability to supply energy?"

This is a great question, can an unweighted rear leg supply power?
if it can, then an unweighted front leg, can supply power also?

Cool, great debate you guys, i just read the previous posts, still, i love this question.

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
What is externally rotating?

The hip joint.

This is an externally rotated position;

ir-er.gif

bench_er.jpg

You get from neutral to an externally rotated position, from activation of the muscles that connect the pelvis to the femur. They pull the greater trochanter of the head of the femur in a posterior direction, which opens the pelvis if you have weight on the back leg, or twists the toes away from the body, if the leg is unweighted.

You cannot open the hips (externally rotate) by internally rotating the back leg.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
HYP..., did you ask this question?...Also, can you or Booth explain when the rear leg loses the ability to supply energy?"

This is a great question, can an unweighted rear leg supply power?
if it can, then an unweighted front leg, can supply power also?

Cool, great debate you guys, i just read the previous posts, still, i love this question.

Not once it is unweighted it can't but prior to becoming unweighted it can.

That is why I asked if you could tell me from the clips provided when does the weight leave the rear leg.

May 16, 2010
My view: If you stand on just your right foot and try to E.R. your foot at your toes against the ground your femur will I.R.

Jim calls it er, I call it ir.

I call it what science calls it. You have your own definition.

Doing what you say doesn't IR the femur, it kicks the knee in a bit and the front hip opens a bit. That is an ER position.

You see, that is our problem. You don't believe what I say, or think I'm wrong, because you don't understand what I'm saying. You have an incorrect understanding of the terminology of the science.

When you try to twist your toes toward the catcher, the body tries to twist the femur clockwise (for a RH), which moves the pelvis counter-clockwise (opens the front hip.)

The end result to anatomists, is an ER position.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Whatever. Thats why I didn't get into this bi monthly debate. BUT when I try to point my toes toward the catcher, and I resist turning my upper body, my thigh area does in fact internally rotate.

R

RayR

I gots to try this one mo time.....

If I stand up on both feet and IR my rear femur - 2 things can happen.....

1 - my hips will rotate open
2 - my hips will rotate closed to coil

I choose 2 in order to coil.....as my upper back (scap pinch) twists away from the pitcher - my rear femur better keep IRing or else I spin backwards....this tightens the coil even more between the top of femur and hip socket....

May 16, 2010
Whatever. That's why I didn't get into this bi monthly debate. BUT when I try to point my toes toward the catcher, and I resist turning my upper body, my thigh area does in fact internally rotate.

"Whatever back at you.

If your thigh area internally rotates, then your body is doing actions that you are not aware of. What I would guess you are doing, is trying to ER and then immediately following it with a resistance, as you say, and the hip internally rotates. You're doing to separate actions. One counters the other.

YOU resist the opening of the hip by shutting down the ER and doing an IR. Which means you restrict the opening of the hip until after the front foot gets down. Then you get the ER going again, and/or get the hip open from a push from the front.

What you propose is simply a delay of the ER action. The hip opens due to ER. You just believe it happens at a different time, and in a different manner than I do. The hip does not, and cannot, open through muscles that IR the back leg.

It IS possible to IR the back leg and then push the hip with ER force. That's bug squish and then push and I know you don't believe in that.

May 16, 2010
I gots to try this one mo time.....

If I stand up on both feet and IR my rear femur - 2 things can happen.....

1 - my hips will rotate open
2 - my hips will rotate closed to coil

I choose 2 in order to coil.....as my upper back (scap pinch) twists away from the pitcher - my rear femur better keep IRing or else I spin backwards....this tightens the coil even more between the top of femur and hip socket....

#1 cannot happen with JUST rear leg IR.

#2 will happen. You will coil if the rear foot stays in place.

The rest is nonsense.

How do YOU think he gets to this phase?

bench_er.jpg

In scientific anatomical terms his back leg and pelvis are in an externally rotated position. Do you have any idea of the muscle action and bone movements that got him to this ER position?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors