the real deal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2009
I think you may be "mis-remembering". Hillhouse is my dd's PC. He most certainly does care what goes on with the glove hand. I remember at her first lesson with him, he kept calling her Dori and telling her not to "just keep swimming". Flinging the arm out to that side pulls the shoulders offline, thus forcing them to lean to the pitching hand in order to compensate. That, in turn, causes the pitching arm to come away from the body and everything gets all off kilter. Just last week, he kept reminding her not to swim that glove hand out. It is a point of emphasis because it draws everything off the power line. Sometimes even the stride foot.

Good call. I think what he says is, the glove hand doesn't really help pitchers too much but it can hurt them. I don't think he cares what it does as long as it's not effecting the motion.

And the video that got played of him, if I'm not mistake as I watched all his things was an 'inshoot drop' which is a pitch that cuts in to a RH hitter and goes down. I'm guessing this is what he was throwing for the glove to go out in that video clip.

Oct 18, 2009
I think you may be "mis-remembering". Hillhouse is my dd's PC. He most certainly does care what goes on with the glove hand. I remember at her first lesson with him, he kept calling her Dori and telling her not to "just keep swimming". Flinging the arm out to that side pulls the shoulders offline, thus forcing them to lean to the pitching hand in order to compensate. That, in turn, causes the pitching arm to come away from the body and everything gets all off kilter. Just last week, he kept reminding her not to swim that glove hand out. It is a point of emphasis because it draws everything off the power line. Sometimes even the stride foot.

My dd had spent time with Hillhouse as well. Since her stiffness forces her to keep her glove hand relatively close to the power line, I guess Bill saw no reason to bring up the subject.

You're probably right that I am misremembering who said what when. This topic seems to come up often enough, and I haven't visited here in a while. I tried to look up that earlier thread, but found that a similar discussion had taken place fairly recently, which went into a lot more details than the one I vaguely remembered.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...indmill-arm-position-3-4-down-position-5.html

Had I seen that thread yesterday, I could have just linked to it and said that I am in full agreement with what BM said then and be done with it (maybe that's why BM hasn't bothered to wade in this time).

Bottom line, Tori is doing what's right for Tori, given her physical attributes. She is obviously successful, and performing at or near what is optimal for her. I would not force my dd to imitate Tori's glove hand motion, because my dd's physical attributes are entirely different from Tori's.

That's all really.

Jul 26, 2010
Most of the comments in this thread, my own included, were the direct result of a very poor video being posted multiple times in the beginning of the thread. This was probably user error and the video has since been deleted, but the comments for the now deleted video remain.

So basically what you have is a thread where 80% of the posts are now out of context to go along with some hurt feelings = pointless thread that should be closed.

-W

Jan 12, 2010
Wow. Could you be a little more condescending? I don't think you laid it on thick enough.

This is a discussion forum. Topics posted are open for discussion. If you don't like the direction of the discussion, don't continue reading. Last I checked this is still a free country.

I don't think it was condescending, or at least that wasn't my intention. However, I am somewhat fluent in sarcasm.... I don't mind people discussing different aspects of pitching, but when you start drawing conclusions and making a prognosis about a specific pitcher without having actually seen her ( a few snips of various clips is hardly enough data), then I'm not sure what purpose it's all serving. It becomes more about picking apart a kid who has done pretty well to date without really knowing anything about her. She must be doing something right. She's committed to a top 10 program, and this is the second thread on this site discussing her. Not bad for a 15 year old pitcher. The bottom line is that pitchers have different styles. You can disagree, postulate, and compare all you want. The proof here is in the results. So far, so good.

Apr 25, 2010
Alright folks. The way I see it, if the swimming out works for her, that's great. I think most people swim out to more or lesser degrees. It becomes an issue when it throws your body, and hence, your motion, all out of whack. Clearly, this girl has found a way to compensate so that that excessive movement of the glove arm doesn't hinder her. Not everything works for everyone.

Remember, different people are different.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
starsnuffer... the video was not poor, as a matter of fact as far as live game footage it was quite good, I did trim them down but they were as good as most videos of game pitching that are posted here. hard to get a HD slow motion video from a game, so don't say the video was not poor when it wasn't

Jul 26, 2010
Not the quality, however it (apparently) was of the one pitch where she looks really awkward (screwball maybe?), the glove was flying straight to first, she stumbled towards third, and the pitch nearly hit the batter who had to move to avoid it. I guess it would be better to say that the choice of video to showcase an otherwise outstanding player was poor. Clearly she doesn't pitch that way for her other pitches and clearly she's had success. You deleted the video so I'm assuming you found some merit in what I just said.

-W

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Here is my $.02 The link I posted of her in this thread is still live and what I see more than anything concerning her glove swimming, is how hard she works the glove side of her body. I think she is pulling back into herself incredibly hard. Pretty impressive.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
well star, I posted more than one video, actually think I posted 3 but whatever, I will just have to believe that since major D1 powerhouses are interested in her that they know what they are talking about. Ever see Lisa Fernandez pitch in person? Totally different than everyone else, not ideal shoulder action most would say. My point is.. there is more than one way to skin a cat. If more people understood that here, we would not be having this conversation. As far as Tori's screw ball is concerned.. have you ever seen Lawrie throw hers? Maybe you should call her up and tell her she is throwing it all wrong. Jeez the ego's here are amazing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi