the real deal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Thought I would post a video of a young lady who is a Sophmore in H.S. still 15 I believe. She has recently signed a letter of intent to play at Missouri. Some of you may know who she is as she was the number one recruit for the class of 2013. Missouri, Arizona, UCLA and others were interested. Anyway she has been clocked as recently as the ASA Nationals at 68 mph, although in this video she was coming off of an elbow injury so I am sure she may be off that a bit. So I though what better way to see why she generates so much speed( and yes I know speed isn't everything, but she has a rise, screw, drop, curve and change, to go along with that speed). The 1st thing my daughter and I noticed was the quickness she has off the rubber and her arm whip. Enjoy.

The link to the video dosen't show on my screen.

Jan 12, 2010
I was fortunate enough to catch an inning of work from this pitcher a month ago. Two things that stood out to me 1) Her arms appeared to be disproportionately longer than the rest of her body. 2) Incredible arm speed.

Sep 3, 2009
Are there any drills that you can do to get disproportionately longer arms?

Perhaps one of these drills might work?
rjo0495l.jpg

jsin208l.jpg

Jan 12, 2010
Tori threw for the Jersey Intensity this past weekend down in Florida. You can catch her throw the last inning and a half on ESPN3 Replays, against the Atlanta Vipers. Central Florida's coach was covering the game. He just kept saying, "This girl throws HARD", "Her riseball is dirty". Just kept gushing.

May 7, 2008
DFW
MOV 2 of 3, Windmill

And the great Jennie Finch flying out? what's this world coming to?

Bwalk notice that while it did fly out a bit she tried very hard to finish with it at the front hip which minimizes the impact of the glove turning the shoulders. This is Jenny Finch. A professionally trained athlete. Do you think a pitcher who is 10U - 16 U is going to be able to make the move like Jenny did in this clip?

I seriously doubt it. They wont have the strength or stability to pull it off like she did in the clip. Every pitcher at every level will have things creep back into their motion that will affect their pitching mechanics. Softball and baseball. Amateur or professional. Swimming the glove is not something you want any pitcher to do with their motion. It will affect their accuracy. You posted one clip up here and made this statement. Now some parent will read this who is new to pitching and may think. Oh its OK to let the daughter fling the glove out like that. Wont hurt a thing. Then a coach or instructor is going to notice her doing it and will play **** trying to change her muscle memory back to the correct method.

Here is the next issue. Even after she does get it better every time she walks out on the mound and starts to get fatigued guess what is going to come back due to muscle memory. Yep the glove swim. Then in the late innings she is going to start walking more batters because the glove is flying out. Have seen this way to many times at all levels of the game. Fix it young and it will not be a problem when they get older.

Who knows maybe Jenny did that as a young pitcher too and wasnt corrected till later.

Dana.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi