the real deal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
I think unorthodox is fair. I'm not questioning her ability, but if you told me that "impeccable" pitching mechanics were to point your glove at first base, keep your hips square to the catcher, and stumble towards third at release without providing context, would you fault me for looking at you funny?

She looks very unorthodox to my very untrained eye as well. I would imagine that she can become a lot better if she were to open up more towards third before she throws. Given she's only 15, time is on her side.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
wow, that was brutal, but you are entitled. 1st off Jennie Finch and many other world class pitchers fly out with their glove, is it optimal? probably not, but tell Jennie that. Hips square to the catcher? Not hardly I will take some time since you didn't and pull some screen caps from the videos, nearly hit the batter? it was a screw ball that jammed her, she swung, she got lucky not too strike out, Stumble towards 3rd? you ever see Lawrie throw her screw ball? give me some time and I will post some screens.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
wow, that was brutal, but you are entitled. 1st off Jennie Finch and many other world class pitchers fly out with their glove, is it optimal? probably not, but tell Jennie that. Hips square to the catcher? Not hardly I will take some time since you didn't and pull some screen caps from the videos, nearly hit the batter? it was a screw ball that jammed her, she swung, she got lucky not too strike out, Stumble towards 3rd? you ever see Lawrie throw her screw ball? give me some time and I will post some screens.

Brutal? I think all we are saying is that she is very impressive and still has huge upside once her mechanics are a little more refined. She'll be unreal in college.

Jun 16, 2010
Watched them lose their first loss at nationals 2-1. Why? She walked a couple batters. You absolutely cannot walk batters against good teams with no outs, they will cross the plate. Second loss was 5-2, someone didnt have much trouble with her in that one but I didnt watch it.

Speed isnt everything, (but its a good start. ) You have to have outstanding control and good movement.

She was not the best pitcher I saw at 14U ASA, fastest yes, best no.

Good pitching isnt enough, you must be able to score runs too sometimes. The best teams will hit any pitcher you put up there, you better be able to hit like them too.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
funny how all I did was post a few vids of a 15 year old pitcher that throws 68 with movement pitches, and she was picked apart in less than 3 hours. Sounds to me like there is a grudge against the Shamrocks or something(which I have nothing to do with by the way) I remember the 1st video I posted of my daughter when she was 12 and was told she would never be nothing more than an average H.S. pitcher and never break 50. She just turned 15 last month, throws 58 with movement and is one of the best in our area. Phenom? not even close, but who cares. This is not a competition people, it is a a discussion by dads and coaches. You all turned this into a joke. Nobody has perfect mechanics, nobody, I think I am done with this site. A few here have really given myself and daughter great input and I thank you. And good luck to all the girls that practice and give 100%, remember there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
funny how all I did was post a few vids of a 15 year old pitcher that throws 68 with movement pitches, and she was picked apart in less than 3 hours. Sounds to me like there is a grudge against the Shamrocks or something(which I have nothing to do with by the way) I remember the 1st video I posted of my daughter when she was 12 and was told she would never be nothing more than an average H.S. pitcher and never break 50. She just turned 15 last month, throws 58 with movement and is one of the best in our area. Phenom? not even close, but who cares. This is not a competition people, it is a a discussion by dads and coaches. You all turned this into a joke. Nobody has perfect mechanics, nobody, I think I am done with this site. A few here have really given myself and daughter great input and I thank you. And good luck to all the girls that practice and give 100%, remember there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I appreciate you posting the videos. One of the great things about this site is that members can post videos and the other members can critically examine them. I think the comments in this thread have been relatively mild (the technical hitting site is a lot more contentious and personal).

Re: Shamrocks, I have no opinion of them other than someone posting a thread a year ago that mentioned this phenom 14YO who played for that team and I was wondering if the pitcher in your vids was her? There was a lot of discussion if this site should post her real name or not, if I recall.

Maybe there are some posters here who have an agenda and animosity towards that team? Certaintly not me since I know nothing about the team.

This pitcher, in my opinion, has some incredible raw talent and will only get better in a few years. I hope she comes to UCLA so I can see her in person!

Sep 3, 2009

Woah...slow down partner. I only commented that it was interesting how she doesn't open up as much as most elite pitchers do. It wasn't a shot at her in any way, I was only "surprised" that a top pitching prospect is doing so well without opening up much, at least it seems that way to me in the short video we have. I'm a dad of a 10 yo girl who has just begun to pitch and not a PC by any stretch of the imagination. I was just making an observation. I would be thrilled for my daughter to be close to that good at that age.

I apologize for my choice of words and any misunderstanding and hope that you stick around.

Tom

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2010
Watched them lose their first loss at nationals 2-1. Why? She walked a couple batters. You absolutely cannot walk batters against good teams with no outs, they will cross the plate. Second loss was 5-2, someone didnt have much trouble with her in that one but I didnt watch it.

Speed isnt everything, (but its a good start. ) You have to have outstanding control and good movement.

She was not the best pitcher I saw at 14U ASA, fastest yes, best no.

Good pitching isnt enough, you must be able to score runs too sometimes. The best teams will hit any pitcher you put up there, you better be able to hit like them too.

I'm not sure what game you were watching. The 2-1 loss came in ITB on Friday. She had 18 strikeouts in that game. Walks had nothing to do with the loss. The ITB runner came in on a misplayed push bunt. She came out in the last game against the Birmingham Vipers out of absolute fatigue, and was not responsible for the 5-2 loss. She had pitched every inning of every game at Nationals, including back to back games on Saturday. The score was 0-0 in the fourth inning when she left the Viper game, and the they weren't hitting her much at all. I think she gave up one or two earned runs the entire tournament. Sounds like pretty good control to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi