The other side to the "Multi-Sport Athlete"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
There are athletes and then there are ATHLETES. An athlete can play multiple sports but eventually she and her coaches will both run into conflicts that cause issues. And their ability in each sport is likely to be less than optimized.

Now an ATHLETE can walk onto any field or court and be the best player there, regardless of practice or playing time. Most coaches will accommodate them because they are just that skilled. Mike Trout.

My daughter played varsity and high level travel softball and volleyball. She had no goals to play in college for either, which helped minimize worries about specialization. She would have been a bit better at either one if she'd given up the other. But she also ran into conflicts and at times had to run from one practice (HS) in one sport to another practice (travel) in the same night. Rough. She got out of it what she wanted and we enjoyed it but it was a lot. As I mentioned, she didn't play in college, went to a big school, joined a sorority, had the time of her life, graduated with honors and is now in graduate school.

I think all girls (people) need to make their choices and understand trade-offs and be conscious of potential burnout. Parents should be supportive but also on the lookout for 1) girls overdoing it and 2) parents putting undo pressure on them to go one direction or another.

Jun 8, 2016
Now an ATHLETE can walk onto any field or court and be the best player there, regardless of practice or playing time. Most coaches will accommodate them because they are just that skilled. Mike Trout.
The bold is an often overlooked aspect of the debate for those who are really that gifted athletically...lol.

While not on Trout's level obviously, Matt Antonelli was the MA Football player of the year his senior year...

Jan 14, 2020
Growing up in the tundra and I am a big fan of the multi-sports and I think it molded me into a better athlete and competitor, keeps competition going one way or another. My oldest 2 played multiple sports until their sophomore year and it was pretty clear by then what their college path was, if there was going to be high level play in their future in one or the other.

Dec 5, 2017
I think the multi sport thing is age dependent. DD is 11 and plays softball, basketball and runs track. Right now I wouldn't want her to pick only one but I can see that in a couple more years if she seriously wants to play college ball it will probably be time to pick. The overlap in seasons is small and so far hasn't caused any conflicts. Played middle school basketball last fall while still playing softball and has played travel basketball this winter, still no conflicts. Track usually is during the week and has only caused issues with an occasional practice here and there. She also played flag football in the fall of 2019 and loved it, glad she played it was fun watching her throw, run, and receive td's against all the boys!

Jun 8, 2016
I think the multi sport thing is age dependent. DD is 11 and plays softball, basketball and runs track. Right now I wouldn't want her to pick only one but I can see that in a couple more years if she seriously wants to play college ball it will probably be time to pick. The overlap in seasons is small and so far hasn't caused any conflicts. Played middle school basketball last fall while still playing softball and has played travel basketball this winter, still no conflicts. Track usually is during the week and has only caused issues with an occasional practice here and there. She also played flag football in the fall of 2019 and loved it, glad she played it was fun watching her throw, run, and receive td's against all the boys!
The conflicts for bball will be starting soon if the team is a serious AAU team...for now I have told the bball coach that softball tournaments take precedent over bball tournaments..that said if she is playing in some crap softball tournament and the opportunity to play in a good bball one presents itself..

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I think we need to remember that for multi-sport athletes who do love and excel at more than one sport, D3 does provide that opportunity for them to play on more than one varsity team.

Jun 8, 2016
I think we need to remember that for multi-sport athletes who do love and excel at more than one sport, D3 does provide that opportunity for them to play on more than one varsity team.
My wife ran track in college (D3) and the volleyball coach wanted her to play as well but she said no thank you. Playing 2 sports in college would be really,really difficult. There were a few kids on my baseball team (D3) who played football and one who played hockey so it is doable.

May 27, 2013
My wife ran track in college (D3) and the volleyball coach wanted her to play as well but she said no thank you. Playing 2 sports in college would be really,really difficult.

I definitely agree, but I had several friends In college who did FHockey and Lax or FHockey and softball.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi