The only time my DD1 becomes irrational

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
I can't stand to be late for stuff that I don't want to be at. LOL. I'm not fun to be around.

Apr 26, 2015
DD and I both hate to be late. We always have a 15-30 min buffer. Drives the rest of the family nuts. But since it's usually just the 2 of us it's all good! I usually take a book to read or my computer to get some work done while I'm waiting.

Feb 17, 2015
USA
DD had a coach that always stressed that if were not 15 minutes early you were 5 minutes late. He was always big about preparing the girls for the next level.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I wish my DD would get a little of this fire in her belly. Very slow to get going in the morning. She's always ready at exactly the last second and generally then still has to go back into the house for something she's forgotten while I stew in the car knowing she's burned the time we need to grab breakfast or maybe get gas. I hate starting long tournament days that way; makes me nuts.

This ^^^ describes my DD and me exactly.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
First, let me say that one of my coaching sayings is, "If you are 5 minutes early, you are 10 minutes late."

Next, and Bob forgive me since I am an old guy who has not ever been one to change, the instant my dd threw a fit would have been the exact time I pulled over to the side of the road and let her know in uncertain terms that I won't put up with that stuff. I would have pulled up late to prove a point. It is one thing to want to be on time and ready to play/practice but a radically change from what I deem acceptable for the tail to wag the dog. I'm the big dog.

Bob, again, forgive me. I'm set in my ways and that is exactly what would have happened to my dd.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Once, my DD was running so late she had two left shoes once we got to the field. I asked her 'how did you even do that, one is metal and the other is molded'?
She said, "mom got them and gave them to me."
So neither of you noticed??? I knew from that point on I was doomed.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
First, let me say that one of my coaching sayings is, "If you are 5 minutes early, you are 10 minutes late."

Next, and Bob forgive me since I am an old guy who has not ever been one to change, the instant my dd threw a fit would have been the exact time I pulled over to the side of the road and let her know in uncertain terms that I won't put up with that stuff. I would have pulled up late to prove a point. It is one thing to want to be on time and ready to play/practice but a radically change from what I deem acceptable for the tail to wag the dog. I'm the big dog.

Bob, again, forgive me. I'm set in my ways and that is exactly what would have happened to my dd.

This is exactly what I was thinking as well...in fact at some point along the way I'm pretty sure I've done it. Sorry Bob and please understand I'm not saying this about you or your DD, but having just witnessed a whole bunch of entitled kids and parents at the local HS it's on my mind. Why are parents putting up with some of this crap from their kids?

May 15, 2016
This is exactly what I was thinking as well...in fact at some point along the way I'm pretty sure I've done it. Sorry Bob and please understand I'm not saying this about you or your DD, but having just witnessed a whole bunch of entitled kids and parents at the local HS it's on my mind. Why are parents putting up with some of this crap from their kids?

Tatonka, you and Cannonball have made me think about this, asking myself if my kid feels entitled. I don't think so, and I can think of many examples of times I have said no to her, and she accepts it, not happily, but without a fuss. Tournament shirts are one. Of course she wants a t-shirt from every tournament she is in. I tell her, she has a choice, a shirt or a batting lesson. That becomes a very easy choice for her, she wants the lesson and her decision is made. At those times she is clearly rational.

It is clear to me the being late issue comes from an irrational place within her, her behavior and demeanor completely change. I am far from very knowledge about dealing with psychological issues, but my impression is that telling anyone, but especially a teenager, to stop being irrational, even with the threat of pulling the car over, is not going to make them become rational.

I guess I am going to have to do so more research on this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles