The Ongoing Debate about Masks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
This was not meant to be a debate MTR.

Really? Please see title to thread

It was meant to discuss what valid information existed and to what potential this was going to occur.

I simply responded to comments and questions already entered in the thread.

I find it interesting that you chose to chastise me for going "off subject" when all I did was respond within the subject matter, yet kept mum when others took the discussion to chastise ASA for the non-dictatorial manner in which they address changes in the game of softball. Got an agenda there, Ken?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Without rehashing the debate about the pros and cons of masks, I'd be very surprised if this wasn't an annual item for discussion at most of the alphabet soup organizational meetings.

Whether or not mandated masks for certain positions will be a thing of the future, I can't see how the issue can be simply ignored when the issue of equipment is discussed. They may very well leave it a voluntary decision for the forseable future but the issue of whether or not they will be required is sure to come up.

When was the last time mandating a catcher to wear a glove discussed? ASA Rule 3.5 requires the catcher to wear certain safety equipment, but not a glove. Why? Wouldn't you think that is because it is a no brainer?

Actually, this issue has been under discussion for a few years at ASA's General Council meetings. And it always comes back to the fact that the equipment is there and the same rule noted above already permits any player to use a face mask or guard. That point alone makes this a no brainer. If there were particular restrictions (which there will be if mandated), then the argument is easy, but there are none. The provision is there to permit them, they are presently on the market at a relatively economical price, so my question keeps coming up as to why this is an issue?

Aug 9, 2013
NSA has changed the wording of their rule, while it does not make it mandatory, it is "highly recommended" Don't know what that really means other than they can say they recommended them wearing a mask.

I'm a commissioner in my village and we use the same wording. For in house girls, if we require them, we have to supply them to the teams as well. I play in the fall in a surrounding village and they provide them and require them for P/1B/3B. We are a smaller village and are considering doing the same for the 8/10U levels since we commonly get so many first timers.

Apr 9, 2012
Really? Please see title to thread

I simply responded to comments and questions already entered in the thread.

I find it interesting that you chose to chastise me for going "off subject" when all I did was respond within the subject matter, yet kept mum when others took the discussion to chastise ASA for the non-dictatorial manner in which they address changes in the game of softball. Got an agenda there, Ken?

Read my request very thoroughly and dont take anything out of context MTR. I asked for no flaming and requested information based on a potential ASA ruling in the near future. THere has been much flaming and trolling on this topic and my agenda (yea I have one) is to not beat that dead horse.

Again I ask-if anyone has heard any valued information about a potential ruling from a reputable source speak up. Otherwise start your own thread if you wish to argue over its merit.

Apr 9, 2012
When was the last time mandating a catcher to wear a glove discussed? ASA Rule 3.5 requires the catcher to wear certain safety equipment, but not a glove. Why? Wouldn't you think that is because it is a no brainer?

Actually, this issue has been under discussion for a few years at ASA's General Council meetings. And it always comes back to the fact that the equipment is there and the same rule noted above already permits any player to use a face mask or guard. That point alone makes this a no brainer. If there were particular restrictions (which there will be if mandated), then the argument is easy, but there are none. The provision is there to permit them, they are presently on the market at a relatively economical price, so my question keeps coming up as to why this is an issue?

Something has triggered this to suddenly become an issue and we are all asking if anyone knows why. Some valid points have been made so well see what comes of this.

I remember last years session-ASA didnt even discuss the potential new bat regs which usssa already acted on. It was quite funny as the response was suspected as thumbing their nose at usssa for having the nerve to tell asa what to do. The result was usssa postponing their rule till after this years asa session. Lets see if politics rules again :)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal

For the same reason helmets became an issue
For the same reason chin straps on helmets became an issue
For the same reason face masks on helmets became an issue
For the same reason exit speeds on bats became an issue

Pure and simple safety

And for now ASA agrees with your position that it is a personal choice and that's fine. The question posed by the OP was is that about to change? I don't know the answer to that but my feeling is it it will probably be discussed annually.

I think what is most likely to happen on the face mask issue is a HS pitcher will be badly injured and a school district will lose a law suit somewhere where they pay a large settlement and then that district starts mandating masks and then it trickles down to other orgs. That's just my guess, I could be wrong.

Apr 9, 2012
For the same reason helmets became an issue
For the same reason chin straps on helmets became an issue
For the same reason face masks on helmets became an issue
For the same reason exit speeds on bats became an issue

Pure and simple safety

And for now ASA agrees with your position that it is a personal choice and that's fine. The question posed by the OP was is that about to change? I don't know the answer to that but my feeling is it it will probably be discussed annually.

I think what is most likely to happen on the face mask issue is a HS pitcher will be badly injured and a school district will lose a law suit somewhere where they pay a large settlement and then that district starts mandating masks and then it trickles down to other orgs. That's just my guess, I could be wrong.

Thats a good theory. I can see that happening as we speak. My hs league had 2 facial injuries last season alone-one pitcher and one third base. Pretty nasty injuries and costs.

Oct 5, 2011
Sterling IL
this may fall into the debate catagory but..... Would ASA put themselves in a potential legal problem if they only mandated masks in certain positions? say a second basement playing up in a slap situation gets hit in the face. Is it ASA's fault because they didnt mandate that position? Dont get me wrong i know it sounds stupid but people have sued for alot dumber things. Might be better if they mandate 1st, 3rd, and pitcher. Then strongly suggest all other spots wear them too?

Apr 9, 2012
this may fall into the debate catagory but..... Would ASA put themselves in a potential legal problem if they only mandated masks in certain positions? say a second basement playing up in a slap situation gets hit in the face. Is it ASA's fault because they didnt mandate that position? Dont get me wrong i know it sounds stupid but people have sued for alot dumber things. Might be better if they mandate 1st, 3rd, and pitcher. Then strongly suggest all other spots wear them too?

I hadnt thought of that. Good point.

Jul 26, 2010

Great question.

If a pitcher is taking a throw at the plate as a runner comes crashing into home and gets cleated, slicing her shins open, can the ASA get in trouble for not mandating that pitchers wear shin guards?

-W

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma