The magical riseball story.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2013
Yes, it did rise, same as a pitch might slide left by mistake and not be a curve. The rise has to have proper technique and the trajectory is maintained or improved by the spin. I don't think softball pitches arc that much, at least to my eye, at least the fast ones.

Dec 20, 2012
2B21EB44-BA10-8BF8-02EDC7FC3DF3CDEF_2.jpg
2B21EB44-BA10-8BF8-02EDC7FC3DF3CDEF_3.jpg

Here are 2 examples of your eyes SEEING one thing and what is ACTUALLY there is not the same. I guess if you put on 3-D glasses the images do actually jump off the screen, you know because you can see it happen.

Jan 24, 2012
My 10yr old DGD throws a rise ball quite often. It usually goes over the catchers head and costs us a run.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
If I threw a riseball straight at the glove; it comes in flat looking like a fastball but hops up some inches at some point and then continues towards the catcher at that new height. The most effective ones 'hop' up just before reaching the 'Hit zone' of the batter.

The wind blowing in your face or at your back made a big difference in the amount of 'Hop' and exactly when it occurred. Wind at your face, might hop way too soon and the batter could adjust and clobber it. Wind at your back; it might not hop at all in time and you best duck!

When people start playing softball in a NASA simulator or in a physics laboratory, then I will stop chuckling at that. It's not my fault they havent been in softball in the real world and seen these type of things. They simply havent been around enough to know.

Like the commercial says :Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put one in a fruit salad.

I have seen too much physics 'Knowledge' proven wrong. I was always too busy pitching, or teaching to take videos.

Sleep well in your 'Knowledge' of softball.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
View attachment 4362
View attachment 4363

Here are 2 examples of your eyes SEEING one thing and what is ACTUALLY there is not the same. I guess if you put on 3-D glasses the images do actually jump off the screen, you know because you can see it happen.

I took a swing at the first image and drove it over the CF fence (at least 371 ft BTW), but swung and missed the second image. It moved and jumped over my bat so it has to be a rise ball. YMMV.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Quite a few years ago I was asked to come up into the gold country to work with a pitching coach's daughter, 14yo if I remember. He caught for her. At one point he asked me to throw him a riseball as he had never seen one. I threw him a bent fingered rise. It broke late, hopped up over the top of his glove. I had ducked under it too much and turned into into an 'up and in'. He missed it completely and it hit him in the collar bone near his left shoulder. He fell off his bucket onto the ground, thought I had broke that bone. That was the last time I ever threw anything fast to anyone without a chest protector and a mask. If it had not turned into the up and in, it would have hit him in the throat or mouth.

I had a 19yo pitcher from Australia fly in one year. She was going to college in the US. She arrived with her dad who said he would catch for her and had been her catcher since she started at 12yo. He wasnt real tall but a strong looking fellow with grey hair. I offered him a mask, he said not needed. I showed her the bent fingered riseball and about the 5th or 6th try, it worked for her. It hopped up late, cleared his glove and nailed him in the middle of his chest. He jumped up quickly, we ran to him and he just stood there looking at us. I asked him if he was OK and he said "Yeah. Damn! I've been catchiung her and other pitchers back in Australia for 10 years and I've NEVER seen a ball come up like that before!". I then took over the catching duties.

Just because you have never seen one that came up, doesnt mean they cant be made to. I dont care about NASA or about what the physics book say.

Hal, you are not going to convince these guys that a good riseball goes up and goes up very well. I wow fathers all the time with throwing a riseball to them after they have seen what their daughters call a riseball.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The airplane rise, the one that is like a plane taking off from a runway? Never seen one that arced up like that.

The high school rise, the one that is basically a straight fastball that starts off low and goes higher in a straight line, that is not a riseball in my opinion.. It doesnt rise, it goes straight, its just going in a straight line. I think it is stupid to call that a riseball, but, it does fool the batters.

I have never thrown a riseball that arced upwards (like a plane taking off), I have never said I have.

Ive been around fastpitch for 52 years. Ive seen physics proven wrong in fasdtpitch and other areas I have been involved with in my life. I have yet to figure out exactly why some of these things happened like they did/ do, but they have and do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles