Met with Bill Hillhouse this week and my arm didn't go flying off (yet)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I don't know if any of you remember Bill posting about a friends need for an old timers pitcher for an upcoming tournament. That post hooked me. They didn't have fastpitch when I was growing up so tennis was my game. Hell, my daughter came home in 2nd grade and wanted to play rec softball and I thought it was slow pitch. What a ride that turned into but that's for another day.

I reached out to Bill and asked how fast the pitcher needed to be as I didn't think 54 would cut it lol. He mentioned 60 maybe a rare 70 but nothing specific. The more I thought about it, the more I was pretty sure with the right coach, this 63 y.o might get there for next year. I live a couple hours away so I asked about lessons, and he invited me up to Omaha. Talk about graciousness and feeling spoiled. I'm sure he wondered if I would actually show and who could blame him. He wouldn't take my money but did allow me to help pay his traffic ticket oops (something about farmers and stopping completely) as I said earlier, a story for another day.

We spent an hour Monday morning outside and I finally understand about the Hillhouse Super-Secret Elbow Snap methodology. He is so easy to talk with and has a clear way of communicating. Nothing arrogant whatsoever. A guy you play ball with and then go get a beer. I will keep posting about my travails under Bill's tutelage each month and if you really want to test your abilities, sign up for lessons with him. It is obvious the sport needs more ambassadors.

To sum it up, yes, my arm is still attached, my wife doesn't know anything about this, and the girls at lessons think it's the coolest thing. And he has a great sense of humor!

Aug 21, 2008
I don't know if any of you remember Bill posting about a friends need for an old timers pitcher for an upcoming tournament. That post hooked me. They didn't have fastpitch when I was growing up so tennis was my game. Hell, my daughter came home in 2nd grade and wanted to play rec softball and I thought it was slow pitch. What a ride that turned into but that's for another day.

I reached out to Bill and asked how fast the pitcher needed to be as I didn't think 54 would cut it lol. He mentioned 60 maybe a rare 70 but nothing specific. The more I thought about it, the more I was pretty sure with the right coach, this 63 y.o might get there for next year. I live a couple hours away so I asked about lessons, and he invited me up to Omaha. Talk about graciousness and feeling spoiled. I'm sure he wondered if I would actually show and who could blame him. He wouldn't take my money but did allow me to help pay his traffic ticket oops (something about farmers and stopping completely) as I said earlier, a story for another day.

We spent an hour Monday morning outside and I finally understand about the Hillhouse Super-Secret Elbow Snap methodology. He is so easy to talk with and has a clear way of communicating. Nothing arrogant whatsoever. A guy you play ball with and then go get a beer. I will keep posting about my travails under Bill's tutelage each month and if you really want to test your abilities, sign up for lessons with him. It is obvious the sport needs more ambassadors.

To sum it up, yes, my arm is still attached, my wife doesn't know anything about this, and the girls at lessons think it's the coolest thing. And he has a great sense of humor!
What a nice post!! And the pleasure was mine. I'm glad you made the trip up, and you're always welcome back. As I said to you privately and now I'll say it publicly, you earned my complete and total respect for your desire to get into a game for yourself and play a little fastpitch. As I think I mentioned when you were here, you were the only person to take action on the post I had put up about the over 60 Nationals. (and there's also a 55 over, 50 over, 45 over, 40 over divisions so nobody has to think their first game would be against the National team or any team competing in the world championship!! I take my hat off to you!!

I know your post was kidding a little, but lest anyone think I have some "super secret" technique. Far from it. Everything I did as a pitcher and subsequently teach to my own students was done 100 years before my time. I invented nothing. I certainly don't have any proprietary info!!

I look forward to the next time!!!

Jun 8, 2016
(and there's also a 55 over, 50 over, 45 over, 40 over divisions so nobody has to think their first game would be against the National team or any team competing in the world championship!!
Do they have Tendonitis Nationals (instead of buckets of bubble gum in the dugouts like MLB, they have buckets of ibuprofen)..I need that.

Aug 19, 2020

According to my daughters, Bill has the worst sense of humor. Somehow they keep coming back though;)

Oct 25, 2009
Serious question. What is the possibility that a lower speed is all that’s possible with someone? I’m 77. For the life of me I can’t reach 45—my goal! To be totally honest 40 is seldom reached.
I do squats, deadlifts, kettlebell swings, 100 lb bungee tubes. Consider myself slightly out of shape.
I can throw pretty accurately from around 60’. About 35 mph though.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Serious question. What is the possibility that a lower speed is all that’s possible with someone? I’m 77. For the life of me I can’t reach 45—my goal! To be totally honest 40 is seldom reached.
I do squats, deadlifts, kettlebell swings, 100 lb bungee tubes. Consider myself slightly out of shape.
I can throw pretty accurately from around 60’. About 35 mph though.
Without video it's hard to tell. Hahaha. Just kidding. I find my video hilarious and I bet you would laugh at yours. How's your whip? lol Considering our tendons toughen up and lose elasticity I would think everybody slows down. Our nerves don't fire as intense blah, blah, blah....I think it's great you are pitching and I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem striking me out! Cheers and keep the enjoyment going.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles