The magical riseball story.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
This is forslingnit and the others that mock me on it. I have never taught a pitcher to do anything illegal, not in person or in my books. Now I am going to teach you what to do, what I did to make the ball do what it did.
It is highly unlikely ANYONE will ever throw a softball fast enough to make it work anyway, so, ethics are out the door on this one.

The pitch that did what you are talking about was not the bent fingered rise, it was a'Slider' and the grip was shown to me by one of my teammates who was a former MLB minor league player. It is the same grip I later was told was a 'Cut riseball'.

I gripped the ball with the leg of the horseshoe between my index and middle finger. I threw it just like I later taught students to use it. HOWEVER, ther was one exception. When I threw it that day, I reached behind my head and adjusted my ball cap. It was a hot day and the back of my hair was sweaty. My middle finger got quite wet with sweat but the index finger was still dry.

I touched my thigh with tips of my fingers but not the entire fingers. I gripped the ball with that wet middle finger and I threw it very fast. It did exactly what I said it did.

Now you know the whole story. Try it yourself. But as I said, it will be highly unlikely you will reach thed speed I had back then.

But then again, there is always slow pitch for you. :)

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Oh yes, forgot to mention. The sanctioned ball back in the l;ate 80's was the Dudley-SB12L. You could feel the seams but they barely were higher than the rest of the ball. Yhey felt noticeably lighter that the balls the girls use today.

Dec 20, 2012
6.8 oz softball would require 95+ mph and 35 revs to get a slight rise, per physics. Being mocked isn't that bad, my kids do it to me all the time.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Oh God...if we get into physics here we will never get ourselves out of the quagmire. The non-linearity of the vortices created by the seams is something graduate students spend years studying. What is the profile of the stiches? what is the barometer reading and temperature at the time of the pitch? How about we just say that it may or may not rise but it doesn't matter, it's an effective pitch when thrown correctly and backspin does change the flight enough to mess with a batter. I'm not being critical BTW I just recognize a topic that would suck me in and the physics of the riseball would kill my productivity at work but I do not have the will to resist it.

Status
Not open for further replies.