The magical riseball story.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I'm with you Hal
flatearth.jpg

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Caution- Hijack-

not sure where you get your science from but.....

IR temperature readings are dependent on the emissivity of the surface being measured/and angle of incidence as well as environmental factors. Every instruction book for an IR temperature measurement device will have something to this effect. you will get three temperature measurements for say a white surface, a black surface and a mirrored surface even if they are all at the same temperature as measured by a contact thermocouple or RTD.

as for the coat of paint.....don't confuse temperature measurement with heat transfer. Don't you think that if a coat of paint had the effect on insulation you mention that every house in the world would be painted with it? That being said, you can paint a surface with a more reflective color to reduce the amount of heat absorbed from a source like the sun (absorbed radiated heat). Think white car vs black car.

I promise to never try to throw a bent finger riseball...you stay away from science...deal?

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I just put 2 and 2 together and realized that at some point in your life you made money off of someone by using an IR gun to measure a boiler, painted it then measured it again and asked for your check....are you a traveler or something? How is your motor oil over asphalt business doing ?:)

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
White coating, Solar reflectivity .83, Thermal emissivity .90.

IR GUNS at 3 to 12 feet away, dead on straight, no readings. But, on a 2" x 6: aluminum coupon, laid on a 280 degree hot plate with the IR gun at 2" away, reading is accurate and it reads 280. But, the farther the scientists brought the gun away from the coupon, the more ridiculous the readings became. They blamed it on the IR gun not being calibrated recently.

They would not consider taking it outside and testing it in the sun.

Army engineers put test patches of numerous coating test patches on a roof. Gave them a week to cure. They used several IR guns and found that all, except ours , gave accurate readings. They got no readings on ours.

As I said , my confidence level in scientists and physics is not high.

Same thing for physics and what a softball can or cannot do.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Nope. Surface temp thermometers were used by the hospital engineers conducting the tests. I oversaw the applications.

IR guns were used on roofs and walls first to no avail, then suface thermometers on those also.

Dec 20, 2012
White coating, Solar reflectivity .83, Thermal emissivity .90.

IR GUNS at 3 to 12 feet away, dead on straight, no readings. But, on a 2" x 6: aluminum coupon, laid on a 280 degree hot plate with the IR gun at 2" away, reading is accurate and it reads 280. But, the farther the scientists brought the gun away from the coupon, the more ridiculous the readings became. They blamed it on the IR gun not being calibrated recently.

They would not consider taking it outside and testing it in the sun.

Army engineers put test patches of numerous coating test patches on a roof. Gave them a week to cure. They used several IR guns and found that all, except ours , gave accurate readings. They got no readings on ours.

As I said , my confidence level in scientists and physics is not high.
Same thing for physics and what a softball can or cannot do.

Really??? Who invented the coating you sell?

STEP RIGHT UP, STEP RIGHT UP!!! Get a bottle of Hal's miracle elixer. It cures all ills. Cancer, mumps, sores, and bumps. Thickens a woman's hair and for men it helps down stairs!!! Step right up, step right up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie