The magical riseball story.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The $500 offer was for someone throwing a riseball that suddenly hops when it gets to the plate. Knuckleballs are a whole different beast.

A knuckleball is thrown with *almost* no spin. As the ball goes through the air, the seams act like a rudder. As the ball slowly rotates, the seams "steer" the ball in different directions. So, does a knuckleball "rise above its original trajectory"? No. But, as far as "hop" a little, yes.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I'm trying to understand how something hops but does not change trajectory. do you mean that while it is still dropping, that the rate of drop slows down so it is a relative hop but does not actually gain altitude, just loses less altitude momentarily so it looks like a hop?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Ther bent fingered riseball starts off like a fastball going straight to the target. It then 'hops' up like it climbed one step of a staircase but not that high, a little step up.

I must also add that after it hops, if thrown fast enough it DOES NOT drop at all at the last part of the flight. However, I have had adult students throw it that fast, a few 18u's and a couple of 16u's throw it fast enough it did not drop at the end. All the others, it did.

Spin vs speed is a huge issue on this one thgat determines AT WHAT EXACT POINT that 'hop' happens in the flight path. Too soon, they adjust and hit it. Too late, they have ALREADY hit it.

Pay real close attention to exactly where it happens.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I must also add that after it hops, if thrown fast enough it DOES NOT drop at all at the last part of the flight.

That's quite a trick to defy gravity like that.

Gravity_Its_Not_Just_a_Good_Idea_Its_the_Law.jpg

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Laws of gravity and physics are broken all the time. Whole lotta those kinda law breakers out there Marshall!

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The laws of physics will lead you to believe that an infra-red heat measuring gun will givbe you the temperature of whatever surface you point it at and pull the trigger. This is supposed to be applicable to every substance known.

I proved that one wrong 20+ years ago with a coating product I have been involved with for almost 30 years .

The formost energy scientists on the planet will say a material as thin as a thick coat of paint cannot retain heat.

Well, 20+ years ago we painted some boilers and steam pipes in hospitals and dropped the surface temp of those metals from 267F down to 155F, a 30% reduction in heat loss, with a thick coat of paint.

So, you will have to forgive me if my faith and confidence level in laboratory scientists and their laws of physics is very low.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie