The magical riseball story.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2012
Lets discuss the topicality of this first.

In the creation of the rise ball was the definition of the riseball:

a. A pitch that physically rises/breaks upward
b. A pitch that gives the illusion of an upward break

Does anyone have original documentation?

If not then are we debating based on incorrect definitions?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The rise does gain elevation throughout the distance traveled. It is also dropping. Without video to show proof of ball that curves upward, we're stuck.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
if it truly rose with some sort of parabolic arc there would be video of it. Actually, I did see bigfoot tossing this pitch to an alien in area 51 right after the Freemasons caused 9-11, Elvis was there too.

Feb 7, 2013
Oh yes, forgot to mention. The sanctioned ball back in the l;ate 80's was the Dudley-SB12L. You could feel the seams but they barely were higher than the rest of the ball. Yhey felt noticeably lighter that the balls the girls use today.

So was it the magical grip, magical sweat, magical ball, or magical pitcher that produced this magical pitch?:)

In all seriousness, DDs former hitting instructor who played at the highest level of college softball would swear on her mother's life that the rise balls she saw in college "jumped over her bat" and had "late movement up" including the low rise that "would start out of the strike zone and rise up to be a low strike". I personally don't believe a human can throw a rise ball with enough backspin and velocity to make it move up off of its original plane of trajectory but I can see how a batter could be "fooled" into thinking it did have late movement as they swing under the pitch.

And the debate goes on....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie