The Load

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
I like what Teacherman is teaching, (Richard Schenck). Seems a bit tricky to pick up, but makes sense overall.
I like some of his stuff. I don’t like teaching coiling around rear hip as he does. I like loading into or against rear hip. The upper seems to over rotate (back to pitcher) when you think coil around rear hip.

Aug 20, 2017
1. start stride on pitcher release
2. make sure the front foot is down when ball is halfway there (0.400 sec pitch, 0.200 swing)
3. during stride , lift the front knee - not the hip
4. land on a very bent front leg
5. make sure the rear forearm is flat, and the bat head pointed up to 55 deg

That's it. The key to a million dollar swing, all for free. No buzzwords, no jargon.
Agree with this. Now how do we train the hitter to accomplish it?

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
This is my point. Timing toe touch/heel slam can only happen if the load is timed properly. Ready to swing at release. The load has got to occur while the pitcher still has the ball in her arm circle. IMO this is step one to developing the ability to consistently hit high level pitching
starts from the ground up... your hands don't start the bat movement. Sequencing drills can really tighten things up from a muscle memory point, but it has to be done repeatedly like any other thing you work on.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
@BillyB Ground up is totally wrong kinetically or functionally. Which I believe you are speaking of. Ground up produces drag. What the ground does is let the hands leverage the transition against it.

The kineMatic 1234 or rotational sequence has many folks lost in regards to cause and effect. You see the hips turn and the torso turn so naturally you think things are launched or functionally used. But in reality the launch ONLY happens when the hands come forward. Which is done functionally during elbow slot and the hands flattening the bat. Kinda w the turn? Makes no sense? Yep. The loadING is transition(Not stride or gather).the hands creating a loading of the barrel is force applied, that’s kinetics, that’s what should be taught. Not get open and let the hands hold onto the bat.

Really look at when force is applied here or w any great swings. You will see force applied w the hands first(after it can get leveraged against the ground)and the body will then rotate and then extend to help deliver the bat. In reality the stretch from the forward move opens the hips while the hands staying back stretches the core. Things are moving in opposite directions creating torque.

1676825848505.gif

How much did the ground play apart in this swing? Only as much to swing against it imo. More doesn’t mean better in hitting. Works for golf bc you’re only timing your swing. Not the ball.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
IMO you will lose some adjustability if they snap simultaneously. They will lose the ability to sink into front side with hands back on off speed.

The hands go first. Force is applied down and forward. Towards the ball. Torque lets the body get behind the barrel and extend w the bat so we can create power. The back hip unloads last in reality.

1676826894490.gif

Rotation is positioning quickly. Extension is the power producer. In good swings.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
@BillyB Ground up is totally wrong kinetically or functionally. Which I believe you are speaking of. Ground up produces drag. What the ground does is let the hands leverage the transition against it.

The kineMatic 1234 or rotational sequence has many folks lost in regards to cause and effect. You see the hips turn and the torso turn so naturally you think things are launched or functionally used. But in reality the launch ONLY happens when the hands come forward. Which is done functionally during elbow slot and the hands flattening the bat. Kinda w the turn? Makes no sense? Yep. The loadING is transition(Not stride or gather).the hands creating a loading of the barrel is force applied, that’s kinetics, that’s what should be taught. Not get open and let the hands hold onto the bat.

Really look at when force is applied here or w any great swings. You will see force applied w the hands first(after it can get leveraged against the ground)and the body will then rotate and then extend to help deliver the bat. In reality the stretch from the forward move opens the hips while the hands staying back stretches the core. Things are moving in opposite directions creating torque.

View attachment 27418

How much did the ground play apart in this swing? Only as much to swing against it imo. More doesn’t mean better in hitting. Works for golf bc you’re only timing your swing. Not the ball.
I'm speaking to a general way the swing works where you can fail or not get to where you want to be as a hitter... You can't do anything properly if your lower half isn't working in sync. Yes, opposites are working, moving forward while staying back seperating upper from lower while loading rear hip, coiling to snap... Don't overthink my statement, being ground up...IF your step isn't proper and your weight is not on rear hip, nothing else matters and youre fighting everything.

PS. the video is showing you the uncoil starts from ground up as well. Legs timing, upper seperating, hips, then torso, then shoulders...the hands go after the shoulders start moving the bat forward.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I'm speaking to a general way the swing works where you can fail... You can't do anyting properly if your lower half isn't working in sync. Yes, opposites are working, moving forward while staying back seperating upper from lower while loading rear hip, coiling to snap... Don't overthink my statement, being ground up...IF your step isn't proper, nothing else matters.

PS. the video is showing you the uncoil starts from ground up as well. Legs timing, upper seperating, hips, then torso, then shoulders.

You said the sawing starts from the ground up. That’s function. I just showed you that his hands are initiating the swing against the ground. That’s hands down not ground up. Anything in regards to ‘ground up’ is false. Even generally speaking.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
@BillyB learn kinetics vs kinematics it will help tremendously w the ground up theory. You want to teach cause not effect right? You’re not writing a thesis. You’re teaching kids HOW to hit, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish