The brutal consequences of drop dead time...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Not condoning what the losing coach did as far as game management, but in tournaments where drop dead is a factor the time remaining should be displayed for all to see as the game progresses.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Never seen Drop Dead in anything other than a showcase where it doesn't matter. Can't see signing up for that.

Friendlies are all drop-dead. Most tournaments are no-new. This was a crappy little 1-day tournament off the beaten path. We were just happy to be playing where the games mattered for something (bragging rights, and a horribly gaudy "championship" ring). Not a lot of options in So Cal right now.

Apr 1, 2017
Exactly. I would never put a team in one out of principle. Find another tourney
I won't sign up for them, but sometimes weather changes things.

Drop dead is horrible. Tournament games in general are short. Mix in drop dead, and you can have 10-15 minutes of the already short game time left to start an inning and know that the game is over.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Friendlies are all drop-dead. Most tournaments are no-new. This was a crappy little 1-day tournament off the beaten path. We were just happy to be playing where the games mattered for something (bragging rights, and a horribly gaudy "championship" ring). Not a lot of options in So Cal right now.
Good to see that yall are getting to play some. I didnt think Cali had opened yet.

Apr 28, 2014
Greed is the #1 enemy of "real 7 inning softball".
Can you imagine Florida State vs. UCLA playing 70 minute drop dead games?
Either play the game the right way or practice. Pitchers get to HS and are winded by the 5th inning.. Sorry there are 7 innings in HS.. it's a real game

Aug 25, 2019
Greed is the #1 enemy of "real 7 inning softball".
Can you imagine Florida State vs. UCLA playing 70 minute drop dead games?
Either play the game the right way or practice. Pitchers get to HS and are winded by the 5th inning.. Sorry there are 7 innings in HS.. it's a real game
Well, it's great to watch one 7 inning high school game, but I wouldn't want to see all Saturday watching three 7 inning games back to back to back.....And if there is a break between games, an even longer day.

Feb 25, 2018
We played in a small tournament this weekend with drop dead times. In one of the games (not ours), one of the teams put up a 12-run half of their inning to take a 12-1 lead in the game. However, the time expired before the inning was completed, and the score reverted to 1-0, giving them a loss.

As much as I hate having a clock in the game of softball, when it is part of the game, you have to manage it properly.

Would be great if they could just play full 7 inning games, no clock, mercy rule being the only way to shorten it. American legion baseball is a good model. Tourney softball needs tweaks. $$$ and some college coaches like the status quo.

Apr 28, 2014
Well, it's great to watch one 7 inning high school game, but I wouldn't want to see all Saturday watching three 7 inning games back to back to back.....And if there is a break between games, an even longer day.
If you had legit pitchers on both teams your would ;)

Feb 25, 2018

A game on Wednesday and a game on Saturday. No more pool play Saturdays.