The brutal consequences of drop dead time...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
Would be great if they could just play full 7 inning games, no clock, mercy rule being the only way to shorten it. American legion baseball is a good model. Tourney softball needs tweaks. $$$ and some college coaches like the status quo.

No reason not to play 7 innings.. Parents accept it. That's really it. They'd rather go to Chic Fila for an hour between games than play real games :)

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Never seen Drop Dead in anything other than a showcase where it doesn't matter. Can't see signing up for that.
If I’m remembering right I think the only time I’ve seen it around here was in showcases also?

Both base coaches blew it, runners should have been stepping off early!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Would be great if they could just play full 7 inning games, no clock, mercy rule being the only way to shorten it. American legion baseball is a good model. Tourney softball needs tweaks. $$$ and some college coaches like the status quo.

No reason not to play 7 innings.. Parents accept it. That's really it. They'd rather go to Chic Fila for an hour between games than play real games :)

Shorter games mean more kids get to play. Play 7-inning games, and you're cutting the number of games that get played on each field by 1/3 to 1/2.

Jun 8, 2016
DD has never played in one but I have felt like I was going to drop dead after watching numerous games.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
5 innings or 100 minutes DD. Limit mound visits, encourage quick on and off the field between innings and should be able to get in 5 innings in most cases in 100 minutes and DD rules would be rarely used.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Longer games means more players play

More players on the teams that are playing...maybe. More likely, the same core players just get more innings. Shorter games means more games played on that field. More games, more players. Two 7-inning games vs. three 1:20 games. 4 teams vs. 6 teams.

Jun 11, 2013
One you go to drop dead it's no longer a real tournament. It would be nice to play 7 each game but at least with finish the inning tournaments you both get the same number of outs.

Apr 28, 2014
More players on the teams that are playing...maybe. More likely, the same core players just get more innings. Shorter games means more games played on that field. More games, more players. Two 7-inning games vs. three 1:20 games. 4 teams vs. 6 teams.

Teams would get more playing time if games were 7 innings. It would eliminate additional field prep, warm ups etc. Probably end up playing a few more innings versus timed games.
After first year 14U every team has pitchers who can get outs. These timed games were necessary when the girls struggled to get outs, too many walks.. At 14U these kids should be ready to compete at the High School level where 7 innings are played unless one team gets run ruled. Timed games are done to generate more revenue for tournament directors. It's a selling point 4 games guaranteed. Nothing better than two great teams playing 7 full. If 7 innings were the norm coaches would adapt to ensure that everyone plays.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles