The brutal consequences of drop dead time...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
We played in a small tournament this weekend with drop dead times. In one of the games (not ours), one of the teams put up a 12-run half of their inning to take a 12-1 lead in the game. However, the time expired before the inning was completed, and the score reverted to 1-0, giving them a loss.

As much as I hate having a clock in the game of softball, when it is part of the game, you have to manage it properly.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
It is a coaching error, but it shouldn't have to be like that.. Drop dead is brutal for everyone involved - I've been on both sides of that.

One game we gave up a few runs near the end of time, HC told the pitcher to throw "batting practice" to run out the time. He should have told the shortstop and 2b the same because they ended up combining for a double and our 5'3" shortstop jumped like Jordan to catch a liner that ended the inning...

In another - we were beating an older team from our own organization. They got 2 runs to pull ahead and had the next two batters walk out of the batter's box and into the dugout to end the inning... :ROFLMAO:

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Maybe coaching genius in the other dugout for their 1st win of the year :rolleyes:

They won 3 games that day, and ended up against us in the championship. We beat them 9-0. The team that lost out on the drop dead situation would have given us much tougher competition.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
Just thought of another one.

We took the field in the rain and they got 8(!) runs. Pitcher couldn't control the ball. It stopped raining before we got the final out of the inning, and didn't start up again. When time ran out we had runners on 2nd and 3rd and 1 out, were winning 11-8. Time gets called and the score reverts to previous inning, tied 8-8. Again - coaching error - should have walked off...

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
While drop dead is rough it's hard to keep a tourney on schedule without. Win some and lose some.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We played in a small tournament this weekend with drop dead times. In one of the games (not ours), one of the teams put up a 12-run half of their inning to take a 12-1 lead in the game. However, the time expired before the inning was completed, and the score reverted to 1-0, giving them a loss.

As much as I hate having a clock in the game of softball, when it is part of the game, you have to manage it properly.

Never seen Drop Dead in anything other than a showcase where it doesn't matter. Can't see signing up for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28