The appeal of a "non-parent" coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You nailed it 1000%!!
Then the HS is all politics conversations come out. Or you hear "well around here the AD is shacking up with the booster club head who's daughter cant play but gets all the time". Right! :)
I got an idea.. get your kid so good that there is no way she could be denied that spot.. oh.. that takes hard work ;)
HS coaches want to win.
What a joke!

I had a conversation with my DD's HS coach yesterday about players earning spots. A lot of them are coming from rec ball where they were always guaranteed playing time, and some parents get their panties all bunched up when they find out that their princess isn't playing very much in HS. They've never been in a situation where playing time has been a reflection of ability, effort, and attitude. Generally speaking, HC is doing a pretty good job handling things, and has made his policies pretty clear. However, one particular Mama Bear has a close relationship with the AD, and has made things difficult more than once.

Apr 28, 2014
I had a conversation with my DD's HS coach yesterday about players earning spots. A lot of them are coming from rec ball where they were always guaranteed playing time, and some parents get their panties all bunched up when they find out that their princess isn't playing very much in HS. They've never been in a situation where playing time has been a reflection of ability, effort, and attitude. Generally speaking, HC is doing a pretty good job handling things, and has made his policies pretty clear. However, one particular Mama Bear has a close relationship with the AD, and has made things difficult more than once.

I can say that I am pretty impartial when looking at talent. Our HS has 4500+ students so we have a lot of girls trying out for softball.
Our HC is tough but fair. Being around the sport for a while I have a pulse on the talent at our school. I can say without a doubt that our HC puts the best 9 on the field every game.
That said there are parents who complain over and over. Many of these kids who are not playing do well in the lower level tournaments and I think the parents see that and really dont understand that there are differing levels of competition in softball. I feel bad for the kids as the parents are probably putting undo pressure on them.
The sad part of this is that we have probably 2 or 3 stud players at our HS who could contribute but their parents get bad info about the program so they don't allow their kids to play.

Oct 4, 2018
Yup.

We have some girls who hit the ball great in 12U tournaments. But in our 10U tournaments from 35 feet against better pitchers they can't even touch the ball.

They don't quite understand what that means.

Jul 16, 2018
Current situation is great. Head coach of the organization has a daughter on each team in their age group. Coach is highly qualified however with current professional experience.

May 6, 2015
You nailed it 1000%!!
Then the HS is all politics conversations come out. Or you hear "well around here the AD is shacking up with the booster club head who's daughter cant play but gets all the time". Right! :)
I got an idea.. get your kid so good that there is no way she could be denied that spot.. oh.. that takes hard work ;)
HS coaches want to win.
What a joke!

Sadly BT, sometimes it does not matter who is better. Politics play a role on TB teams, rec teams, and yes HS teams. often, at least around here, HS coaches are not primarily focused on winning, but on politics, because as long as they play political game correctly, they have job security. It is often whose parent does the most work for the booster club, who whines a lot to get their way, etc.

Jul 27, 2015

Ha! We were at a D-III camp. During the question and answer time with the coach, a parent raised their hand and asked if there was equal playing time for everyone on the team. I knew then they were in way over their heads being at the camp.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Ha! We were at a D-III camp. During the question and answer time with the coach, a parent raised their hand and asked if there was equal playing time for everyone on the team.

This was part of my conversation with my DD's HS coach. Preparation for playing college ball must include players learning how to earn their spots. Even in TB, we see coaches who aren't doing a good job with teaching this aspect.

Jun 8, 2016
This was part of my conversation with my DD's HS coach. Preparation for playing college ball must include players learning how to earn their spots. Even in TB, we see coaches who aren't doing a good job with teaching this aspect.
It is a parent's job to let their children know that the only thing they can control is maximizing their own potential. That goes for all aspects of life.
“A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.”- Larry Bird

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It is a parent's job to let their children know that the only thing they can control is maximizing their own potential. That goes for all aspects of life.
“A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.”- Larry Bird

Parents are definitely part of the equation, but TB coaches have to create a team culture that allows players to actually earn their spots. "Daddy ball" and other favoritism issues discussed in this thread get in the way of that process happening the way it should.

Jun 8, 2016
Parents are definitely part of the equation, but TB coaches have to create a team culture that allows players to actually earn their spots. "Daddy ball" and other favoritism issues discussed in this thread get in the way of that process happening the way it should.
Agreed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck