Texas A&M - ULL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
This site gets nasty so easily. Please show me where I said blue made the wrong call. I compared nothing to anything. Please show where I compared anything to rec ball, HS, whatever. I said now several times that I have no problem with the call.

These are teenage and 20-something girls. Pro baseball, football, whatever players make mental errors all the time. Several folks have said that they are experienced. They are, but this is the highest pressure cooker they can go in.

You are heading down a path that has no logic. I, as an NCAA fan who is adding to ratings, questioned as to why we can't reline the field. The rest of this is all your imagination. Try rolling it back to the OP. My question was why the box can't be relined.

How do you think the lines get obliterated in the first place? If it were an accident, then only parts of the lines would be missing! If you were to re-mark obliterated lines, they would be gone as soon as the next lefty slapper batted. No slapping in baseball so it's only the inside and back lines. In FP SB with slappers, its the inside and front lines.

Let's try to put it in a swimming perspective. Why doesn't every swimmer get to swim their qualifying heat in the middle lane where they aren't affected by refracting wakes?

How do you think the lines get obliterated in the first place? If it were an accident, then only parts of the lines would be missing! If you were to re-mark obliterated lines, they would be gone as soon as the next lefty slapper batted. No slapping in baseball so it's only the inside and back lines. In FP SB with slappers, its the inside and front lines.

Let's try to put it in a swimming perspective. Why doesn't every swimmer get to swim their qualifying heat in the middle lane where they aren't affected by refracting wakes?

If you are saying that the batters purposefully go out and kick the line out every at bat, then thanks for answering the question. I guess I will see if it is totally obliterated next weekend during the games. I see at as more attrition as they are traveling over that part of the box over and over. I know that I can't say in the 3 or 4 dozen games I've watched this year, I can't recall the announcers commenting about the lines being gone and they did so repeatedly.

It really doesn't matter what lane you are in for swimming, if you are out front, you'll have clean water. Has nothing to do with what lane you are in. Heats are seeded with the fastest entry times in the center. Lots of kids win their heats in clean water from the outside - aka Outside Smoker.

Swim Coach

With all due respect, you used the word "stupid" in your earlier comment. If there were any nasty's, it started with that response.

Time to move on. We have beat this topic up for now.

I never referred to any Blue as stupid. I've seen a bundle of calls at bases where replay showed runners were called safe or out incorrectly. No problem. Blue is human. Blue is doing the best they can. It's a very quick moving game.

I stand by the fact that what I said is I think it is stupid on the part of the NCAA to not reline the box based on today. Nothing anyone has said has really given a reason that is compelling to me to not to do it. I line a box 10 times a year. It takes me 5 minutes if that. I don't get paid to do it.

If you are on a rules committee that votes to groom the rubber area, water the infield, and tarp it if it rains during the game, but not reline it, I am sorry if I offended you.

Let's just go turf everywhere ;)

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
112 RULE 11 says, "[T]he batter may not contact the pitch when her entire foot is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batter’s box."

She didn't step directly in front of the plate. She is to the right of the plate.

Nope. She stepped in front of the plate. Not in the exact middle in front of the plate, definitely to the right side, but in front of the plate. At best, her heal would have been in the river.

Nope. She stepped in front of the plate. Not in the exact middle in front of the plate, definitely to the right side, but in front of the plate. At best, her heal would have been in the river.

Sounds like we have a couple posters with differing opinions here. If only there were a way to maybe define, or mark, where that batter's box should be....

I couldn't resist.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Sounds like we have a couple posters with differing opinions here. If only there were a way to maybe define, or mark, where that batter's box should be....

I couldn't resist.

Or even better, some sort of magic box that could capture moving pictures and then play them back to us! Imagine that!

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I just wish they would call pitcher leaping more often.

YYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There had been at least 4 games played without the "crew" rechalking the boxes and an opposing batter asked where the front of the box was. Blue took the kid's bat and drew the front line with it. I'm okay with that. She was a righty. Our pitcher must have been VERY slow for her.

Or she's trying to hit the ball before movement.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It seems as though this has been a point of emphasis for the NCAA this season. Now if they could only start to call IP's and runners leaving early the game might start to gain some much needed credibility.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
It sounds like the reason is "because that's how we always do it". I think that's dumb, and unnecessary. So far no one has given a reason as to what the negative would be about having it relined. Just that we don't, well, because we don't.

Do you drain and refill the pool after every event to make sure the water is clean?

But the lines being there is irrelevant. The lines do make the rule, the rules are what make the lines

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
112 RULE 11 says, "[T]he batter may not contact the pitch when her entire foot is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batter’s box."

Bad wording in all rule sets. Instead of the entire foot on the ground outside of the box, it should read the parts of the foot touching the ground are completely outside the lines of the batter's box.

She didn't step directly in front of the plate. She is to the right of the plate. Without lines, it is not an easy call. If the back of her heal is on the batters box line, the batter is OK.

In all cases, the foot was at least partially, if not totally to the left of the inside edge of the plate. The BB is 6" to the right of that. None of these batter have feet that wide.

Super...rather than looking at the location of the pitch, the umpire is checking out the batter's feet.

Yeah, right....actually, no. Umpires are trained to be set at the top of the zone and watch the ball all the way to the catcher's glove. While following the path of the ball, the umpire is looking down on any pitch not at the shoulders or above. In doing so, the umpire cannot help but to see the batter step into the path of the ball heading toward the plate.

This is not a call an umpire wants to make and will not unless they are absolutely certain of the violation. Unfortunately, all the umpire can do is call it when it occurs.

I can pretty much guarantee two things: That umpire wasn't looking for that call or the notoriety for making it and she was probably thinking how can these people not realize that call is going to be made when that occurs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877