Texas A&M - ULL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
All three of the out of box/contact with the plate calls were accurate. You don't need lines and the rules do not cease to exist because the lines are obliterated.

It is not a difficult observation when the batter literally steps into the umpire's line of vision and out in front of the plate. And remember, the BB is 6" off the plate.

It sounds like the reason is "because that's how we always do it". I think that's dumb, and unnecessary. So far no one has given a reason as to what the negative would be about having it relined. Just that we don't, well, because we don't.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Blue made the correct call and yes it doesn't matter that the game is on the line. I just wish they would call pitcher leaping more often. HS: I saw a Big12 commit leaping all over the circle in area playoffs this weekend.

Side note from this weekend from a friendly. There had been at least 4 games played without the "crew" rechalking the boxes and an opposing batter asked where the front of the box was. Blue took the kid's bat and drew the front line with it. I'm okay with that. She was a righty. Our pitcher must have been VERY slow for her.

Jun 22, 2008
It sounds like the reason is "because that's how we always do it". I think that's dumb, and unnecessary. So far no one has given a reason as to what the negative would be about having it relined. Just that we don't, well, because we don't.

Because it would take a significant amount of time to bring out the box template, the chalking machine, the lines etc to reline the field. And then every time you even had a line slightly obliterated you would have coaches screaming bloody murder they wanted the field relined. Thats why it isnt done, no one wants to take 15 minutes of game time every single time a coach wants a line replaced especially not on national TV. Never mind club ball with timed games, you could just throw the schedule out the window.

Nov 1, 2013
I'm just a dad/fan/rec coach, but that's just stupid at this level.

You are attempting to compare a variety levels of softball as there is one. Your experience as you state is "Rec Coach".... the NCAA game has the finest players in the country playing and they know what they are doing....it is a different level and different expectation.

You compare Rec umpires with high school; Tourney ball and NCAA umpires. You are heading down a path that has no logic or reason. This Blue was correct in everything that was done. They should be praised for making the tough call at the tough time.

And what the Blue gets is grief. Too bad for the sport.

Time to watch and learn.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio

Because it takes too much time.

Once you've done the BB's, what next - re-chalk the circle and foul lines? Maybe drag the infield for a 5th inning stretch?

And really, none of it matters. When the batter steps in front of the plate or on the plate, the call is simple. No lines needed.

Because it would take a significant amount of time to bring out the box template, the chalking machine, the lines etc to reline the field. And then every time you even had a line slightly obliterated you would have coaches screaming bloody murder they wanted the field relined. Thats why it isnt done, no one wants to take 15 minutes of game time every single time a coach wants a line replaced especially not on national TV. Never mind club ball with timed games, you could just throw the schedule out the window.

15 minutes? Who's doing it, Picasso?

I don't care about timed TB games. This the D1 NCAA tournament, and to me, there's no reason to not have a 5th inning stretch or what not to take 3 minutes and remark the box as standard protocol.

BTW, I am from PA, I have no iron in the fire and am not a fan of either team. I have no problem with the call. I have a problem with doing things a certain way when an improvement could be made.

You are attempting to compare a variety levels of softball as there is one. Your experience as you state is "Rec Coach".... the NCAA game has the finest players in the country playing and they know what they are doing....it is a different level and different expectation.

You compare Rec umpires with high school; Tourney ball and NCAA umpires. You are heading down a path that has no logic or reason. This Blue was correct in everything that was done. They should be praised for making the tough call at the tough time.

And what the Blue gets is grief. Too bad for the sport.

Time to watch and learn.

This site gets nasty so easily. Please show me where I said blue made the wrong call. I compared nothing to anything. Please show where I compared anything to rec ball, HS, whatever. I said now several times that I have no problem with the call.

These are teenage and 20-something girls. Pro baseball, football, whatever players make mental errors all the time. Several folks have said that they are experienced. They are, but this is the highest pressure cooker they can go in.

You are heading down a path that has no logic. I, as an NCAA fan who is adding to ratings, questioned as to why we can't reline the field. The rest of this is all your imagination. Try rolling it back to the OP. My question was why the box can't be relined.

Nov 1, 2013
Swim Coach

With all due respect, you used the word "stupid" in your earlier comment. If there were any nasty's, it started with that response.

Time to move on. We have beat this topic up for now.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
112 RULE 11 says, "[T]he batter may not contact the pitch when her entire foot is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batter’s box."

She didn't step directly in front of the plate. She is to the right of the plate. Without lines, it is not an easy call. If the back of her heal is on the batters box line, the batter is OK.

The previous pitch. Check the umpire's eyes

Super...rather than looking at the location of the pitch, the umpire is checking out the batter's feet.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi