Texas A&M - ULL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

And no, lines are never redrawn during a game. The blues are also taught not to take the bat and make the line. The line is the line as the umpire sees it. That comes from every umpire clinic and training....either at the upper local levels to the ASA National tournaments. It is what we are told to do.

I'm just a dad/fan/rec coach, but that's just stupid at this level.

Mar 1, 2013
I want to address the "how do you make that call in that situation" statement. You make the call regardless of the situation. It was the right call and no matter what is happening, if you see the violation, you make the call. 1st inning or 7th or later. You make the call.

Reverse the situation. Fans of the other team would be screaming that the call should be made and it robbed them of the chance to advance in the wcws.

Jun 22, 2008
totally blown call. you cannot make that call in that situation. if i am not mistaken she made that call three times in the game. how many games have you ever seen that before. let the teams decide it on the field. i know it is a hard and thankless job but bad umpiring drives me nuts.

Since when do rules cease to exist in certain game situations? If it is against the rule in the 1st inning, it is still against the rule with the game on the line and the winning run in scoring position.

No, it may not have been called by other officials in previous games but that does not suddenly make it ok to violate the rules. They happened to run into an umpire that was actually watching and calling it.

I have no problem with making the call.

Had there actually been a box, it is much less likely the batter would be way outside of it in my opinion.

My kid has only played softball for 6 years, and maybe there is some storied tradition of why we want to play on a field without markings when the game's on the line, but as a relative newcomer, it doesn't make sense.

Jun 22, 2008
I have no problem with making the call.

Had there actually been a box, it is much less likely the batter would be way outside of it in my opinion.

My kid has only played softball for 6 years, and maybe there is some storied tradition of why we want to play on a field without markings when the game's on the line, but as a relative newcomer, it doesn't make sense.

These are seasoned players playing at nearly the highest level of play. They are well aware of the rules and the size of the batters box and its location with or without lines. When you step directly in front of home plate there is no doubt of the foot being out of the batters box.

These are seasoned players playing at nearly the highest level of play. They are well aware of the rules and the size of the batters box and its location with or without lines. When you step directly in front of home plate there is no doubt of the foot being out of the batters box.

I don't disagree they know the rules. I know that having that line in their peripheral vision or as a reference before the pitch certainly makes a difference. Otherwise why put them there at the start of the game?

Jun 22, 2008
Have you seen 20 at bats with lefty slappers running back and forth in the box in a MLB game? I thought we've established that fastpitch isn't baseball.

In no stick and ball sport are the lines ever redrawn after the start of the game. The pitching lane markings are usually gone after the 1st half inning and they are never replaced. It is just a fact of the game, lines are not redrawn after the game starts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi