Teams accused of throwing playoff game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
Reminds me of the Southpark episode "The Losing Edge" where both teams were trying to throw the game.

One team was pitching the ball right into the batters bats, the other team was hitting the ball right into the South Parks teams gloves. And they were upset because the other team was better at losing than them, they couldn't even lose right. Finally a dad went nuts and started a fight getting them disqualified and they were happy. :)

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Giving the bench warmers playing time in meaningless games is OK, as long as the team is actually trying to win. This happens in all levels of sports, from little kids up to the pros.

Sometimes, the backups do very well for themselves in the meaningless games. Green Bay Packer fans all remember when Matt Flynn not only beat the Lions, but set the team passing record in the meantime. Pretty good for a team that had had Bart Starr and Brett Favre in the past! (To be fair, Aaron Rodgers has tied, but not surpassed, Flynn's record).

Matt Flynn has record-breaking day for Packers - CBSSports.com

OTOH, there have been a few times it has appeared certain NFL teams were tanking games to get a better draft pick.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Every weekend coaches/teams position themselves on Saturday's during pool play, some throw stronger pitchers, some throw weaker pitchers, use alternate players not starters....

now I know that is not down right throwing a game as these two teams tried to do but teams aren't always putting there best foot forward either during pool play.

I think there are a couple of differences. In high school sports, it is understood that you always play to win. In travel softball, the goals are not as clearly defined. Some coaches make player development a bigger priority. I don't think it's cool to manipulate your pool and draw like that, but if I'm the opposing coach, I'm not going to worry about it as long as the players that take the field are playing as hard as they can. The other team owes us that, and vice-versa. They didn't come to play teams that aren't trying.

I know you weren't saying otherwise; just using your post as a springboard.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I think there are a couple of differences. In high school sports, it is understood that you always play to win. In travel softball, the goals are not as clearly defined. Some coaches make player development a bigger priority. I don't think it's cool to manipulate your pool and draw like that, but if I'm the opposing coach, I'm not going to worry about it as long as the players that take the field are playing as hard as they can. The other team owes us that, and vice-versa. They didn't come to play teams that aren't trying.

I know you weren't saying otherwise; just using your post as a springboard.

I can think of ONE permissible exception to always trying one's best.

That is when team A is whomping team B so badly that it is more sporting for team A to ease up a bit.

An example: last year, first tournament of the season, DD #3's team was a bit rusty. DD #3 started the first game. Her pitching and fielding weren't very good. Walks, and errors. Coach pulls her. Puts in a relief pitcher, who was even rustier. The wheels came off the poor relief pitcher. Once the other team had enough runs they knew they were going to win with run rules, they had two players deliberately leave the base early, so as to get called out and end the inning.

Jun 11, 2013
There was a thread on this topic last summer if it was ok to not play our best to go to silver instead of gold. If memory serves me the only time it was OK was to avoid the 8am game :)

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Seems to me that Tennessee needs to fix their game brackets.

If your eye is on the big prize, the coaches job is to find the best way to get you there.

IMO, the number one job for a high school coach is to teach the kids how to play, period. By teaching to play, I mean all aspects of the game. From mechanics to respecting the game.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
IMO, the number one job for a high school coach is to teach the kids how to play, period. By teaching to play, I mean all aspects of the game. From mechanics to respecting the game.

Once you hit the state tournament, you're trying to get the best place you can get. If the state doesn't want them to do that, they need to fix their setup. My state has the brackets drawn out for each division at state before the season even starts. And then it's a modified double elimination. Meaning those that lose have a chance for 3rd. Top two undefeated teams play for 1-2.

So if Tenn is going to have a goofy setup like that, then they need to know this type of thing will happen.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Once you hit the state tournament, you're trying to get the best place you can get. If the state doesn't want them to do that, they need to fix their setup. My state has the brackets drawn out for each division at state before the season even starts. And then it's a modified double elimination. Meaning those that lose have a chance for 3rd. Top two undefeated teams play for 1-2.

So if Tenn is going to have a goofy setup like that, then they need to know this type of thing will happen.

We can agree to disagree, respectfully of course. Having a less than ideal set up, made by people in government positions, doesn't give us the green light to have teen age kids do this.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

Doesn't your setup eliminate the advantage of the higher seed? Not sure I'd like that. If we work all season to rank #1, that's a big advantage getting to play #8 first ( lowest seed ).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd