Lots of teams, but not organizations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
All hearsay but there are a lot rumors that it is free to play on the Lady Dukes top level teams at 16/18u. Lady Dukes seem to be bringing in a good amount of sponsorship money/NIL money. Maybe that money is going towards the top teams tuition fees. Saving 3-5 grand a year could certainly persuade some families to play for the Lady Dukes.

Lady Dukes franchise teams are not very good in terms of top level competition. That goes for all your franchise teams.
It's not hearsay; it's true. And that's not uncommon in other franchise organizations. Honestly, I think that's how they get around the conflict of interest between Young/Lamar. Can you imagine telling a recruit you must play for your husband's organizations and still pay full price? Duke would can her immediately.

They cover those top teams' fees with the franchise fees they pay. I know the NY LD teams pay Lamar a $250 per player vig. The local org uses the rest of the money to cover training, permits, insurance, and tournament fees. I suppose it could be different based on the number of teams you bring to the fold, but I think the NY Hudson Valley team is only one or two teams. Their uniforms are also separate from their team dues. Last fall, they were an average of $600 per player.

Mar 10, 2020
There are Lady Dukes, Bat Busters, etc, teams all over the place now. It's just hard for me to imagine that all these teams being renamed, are at the same upper echelon level as the original namesakes.
Of course the offshoot teams in organizations are not all the same upper echelon level as their original namesakes but people want to believe they are. Makes some feel better about writing the check. They get to belong to the real deal at some level it's just not the same level. Like people who buy the hat of the winner of the World Series and Super Bowl even though they never watched the season.

Jul 14, 2018
Honestly, I think that's how they get around the conflict of interest between Young/Lamar. Can you imagine telling a recruit you must play for your husband's organizations and still pay full price? Duke would can her immediately.

Wouldn’t this be even more problematic? If you’re giving a potential recruit a free spot on a team that others are paying $3500+ to play on, that’s a pretty direct financial benefit to a PSA.

With that said, I’m sure it’s very common for top-tier teams to be funded through the lower levels of a big org. After all, it’s the performance of that top team that gives the organization the ability to charge a franchise fee in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
$$$$$$ = Creative ways to attract top players. When the coaches experience + connections + quality of talent isn't enough.

Simply there are top tier teams that don't pay all the players fees. They attract players because of their coaching experience, connections and quality of talent.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Wouldn’t this be even more problematic? If you’re giving a potential recruit a free spot on a team that others are paying $3500+ to play on, that’s a pretty direct financial benefit to a PSA.

With that said, I’m sure it’s very common for top-tier teams to be funded through the lower levels of a big org. After all, it’s the performance of that top team that gives the organization the ability to charge a franchise fee in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess that could be a problem, too. I think the bigger issue is making them play for your husband's organization. Even if they don't pay to play, they are still enhancing the brand by using their name as a big-time recruit, which then attract other paying players. Honestly, I'm surprised Duke University allows it to happen.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I guess that could be a problem, too. I think the bigger issue is making them play for your husband's organization. Even if they don't pay to play, they are still enhancing the brand by using their name as a big-time recruit, which then attract other paying players. Honestly, I'm surprised Duke University allows it to happen.
That definitely is an interesting boundary line To Tread On

Jun 8, 2016
Honestly, I'm surprised Duke University allows it to happen.
Haha...Universities only care if what you are doing somehow is costing them money and/or is putting them in a negative light publicly. Not enough people know about this, or care, to fit in the latter category.

Oct 4, 2018
Their NC 16/18s are very good. The rest are just franchised teams, and while they may be good teams, they're not the Premier teams. You will very rarely see any of those franchise teams playing PGF or on the Power Pools of any major tournament.

Here in Atlanta, we've played Lady Dukes SE (SouthEast?) and Lady Dukes National 14U, along with many plain Lady Dukes teams. I'm not sure why some teams based in Atlanta are tagged SE or National.

Jun 8, 2016
Here in Atlanta, we've played Lady Dukes SE (SouthEast?) and Lady Dukes National 14U, along with many plain Lady Dukes teams. I'm not sure why some are tagged SE or National.
In theory National teams are supposed to play a National schedule, eg travel out of the SE..Not always the case but that is my understanding of the monikers..

Oct 4, 2018
In theory National teams are supposed to play a National schedule, eg travel out of the SE..Not always the case but that is my understanding of the monikers..

They perhaps will do an out-of-state in the Summer. They haven't yet this fall. We've done 2 or 3. *shrug*

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles