Teams accused of throwing playoff game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2014
I know this is beside the point, but I'm curious about the format... how do you lose in postseason basketball and advance to the next round... ? I've never heard of that.

Apr 11, 2012
I saw that last night....unbelievable....and for what? To win it all someone would have to beat the #1 ranked team at some point in the playoffs and both schools had great records and seasons so far.... I can't imagine a coach tell me to try and lose and look like a buffoon doing it....I can imagine what I would tell one though....what a scar those coaches put on those kids....

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
It's weird sometimes this stuff goes on in softball tournaments to avoid the #1 seed on Sunday bracket play and no one seems to think too much about it. Though that's probably more a case of trying to win without your best players to give experience and if you loss OK than intentionally trying to throw a game.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I know this is beside the point, but I'm curious about the format... how do you lose in postseason basketball and advance to the next round... ? I've never heard of that.

I'm taking a guess here. In district play, more than 1 team advances to the regional tournament. The feared team may have got upset, matching them up with the winner of the thrown game.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

I assume they'd already qualified for the state playoffs but were playing for seeding. The winner got the higher seed, but the tougher draw in the state tournament. Similar thing might happen in softball with pool play.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The coach maybe, but why punish the kids? They already had this year's playoffs taken from them. Isn't that punishment enough? Also how many of the kids are seniors who will be gone next year.

If they fire the coach over this that would be reasonable but I think the teams were already punished correctly for their moronic behavior.

Kids are punished because of bad coaching all the time. Just another case of a team failing to advance because of a coach's poor strategy.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
What am I missing here? How does winning a consolation game put you into a regional semi-final elimination game? Usually after a consolation game both teams are headed home.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

The game was to decide the higher seed, the higher seed should have to face Blackman in the next round. ( potentially )

Sad thing is one team, Riverdale, is the state softball power team. For those who remember, Riverdale hosts the big national HS softball tournament. One of the largest I've ever seen, 40-60 teams from all over the land. Hope it doesn't put a black eye on their sports in general.

8bd326b6ade1e87bcc9848d0aeefdb74_zps8d8374e2.jpg
[/IMG]

Feb 12, 2014
It's weird sometimes this stuff goes on in softball tournaments to avoid the #1 seed on Sunday bracket play and no one seems to think too much about it. Though that's probably more a case of trying to win without your best players to give experience and if you loss OK than intentionally trying to throw a game.

Every weekend coaches/teams position themselves on Saturday's during pool play, some throw stronger pitchers, some throw weaker pitchers, use alternate players not starters....

now I know that is not down right throwing a game as these two teams tried to do but teams aren't always putting there best foot forward either during pool play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67