Teams accused of throwing playoff game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
So they didn't want to face the powerhouse and now neither will be playing post season. Coaches should be canned since it probably originated there.

Feb 3, 2011
I'll have to check into the TSSAA rules, but wouldn't have been easier to forfeit?

Girls basketball teams accused of throwing game - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee
God, that's shameful on so many levels. I'm glad that the Association has banned both teams from post-season play.

The players were obviously following the instructions of their coaches, but what should have been done once the referees realized what both coaches had told their players to do? Should the players have disobeyed their coaches' instructions? Should parents have removed their players from the court? Should the referees have suspended the game, spoken with the coaches, and warned them that the game would be called if they didn't have their players play?

I agree - both coaches have to be fired immediately.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It says one principal has suspended the coach for the first two games of next season. Really? That's it? You try to lose on purpose and disrespect the game, and this is who you want as your head basketball coach?

OK.

Oct 22, 2009
Wow, and what will happen next year? They won't make it so obvious? How do they know if a player really misses a free throw or bogied it?
This will be tough to regulate.

I like the punishment but I think they should be banned for the next season as well.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Wow, and what will happen next year? They won't make it so obvious? How do they know if a player really misses a free throw or bogied it?
This will be tough to regulate.

I like the punishment but I think they should be banned for the next season as well.

The coach maybe, but why punish the kids? They already had this year's playoffs taken from them. Isn't that punishment enough? Also how many of the kids are seniors who will be gone next year.

If they fire the coach over this that would be reasonable but I think the teams were already punished correctly for their moronic behavior.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
The players knew it was wrong and went along with it. I doubt they wanted to, but they did. Where was the outrage from the parents? The one play where the girl tried to turn it over, the defender wouldn't take the ball, so the girl goes across the half court line, would have been enough for SOMEONE to step in.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
The coach maybe, but why punish the kids? They already had this year's playoffs taken from them. Isn't that punishment enough? Also how many of the kids are seniors who will be gone next year.

If they fire the coach over this that would be reasonable but I think the teams were already punished correctly for their moronic behavior.

It's a tough call, I thought about the kids and also thought about a punishment that makes the parents, schools, and players take notice, and make it stop.
When I went to school, every year there was something I couldn't do or someone couldn't do because of what happened the year before.
That never bothered the school into making those decisions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck