Teaching the crow hop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Just when I thought I had heard it all...

A pitching instructor in Chicagoland is using this drill:

(1) The pitcher get open, lifts her left foot, and raises the ball to the 12 o'clock position.
(2) While maintaining the ball in the 12 o'clock position and keeping the left foot up, the pitcher hops forward one or two feet on her right leg, landing on her right foot.
(3) She then completes the pitch.

Am I missing something, or is this instructor actually teaching the crow hop?

Jul 28, 2008
It sounds like it. My daughter's pitching coach has them pitch from one leg from time to time to stress the push off of the rubber. But that is nothing like what I'm reading above. I would like to know what he's trying to accomplish.

May 13, 2008
I intentionally taught my DD to crowhop during the off-season one year to get her to use her legs more. It seemed to help her start using her legs more and it was not hard to switch back.

Jul 26, 2010
Did the PC state what the intention of the drill was? I've a pet peeve against instructors of any sort who don't state what the drill is attempting to accomplish, it's demeaning to the students.

-W

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

(1) The pitcher get open, lifts her left foot, and raises the ball to the 12 o'clock position.
(2) While maintaining the ball in the 12 o'clock position and keeping the left foot up, the pitcher hops forward one or two feet on her right leg, landing on her right foot.
(3) She then completes the pitch.

Am I missing something, or is this instructor actually teaching the crow hop?

I suspect that he first and foremost is a track and field coach and believe that he gotten started early on recruiting triple jumpers.

Nov 29, 2009

I had heard some rumblings that many students of a certain instructor have a problem with being airborne with both feet during their deliveries.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
A step is described as one foot moving forward causing forward movement of the body.

RH Pitcher. If the left foot is in the air and she takes a 'hop' forward with the right foot and then the stride foot comes forward, this is a simple 'Hop', not a Crow Hop. Still an IP for pushing off from somewhere other than the pitcher's plate.

If the stride foot is at the back of the rubber and it is used to slide or hop the pivot foot forward and THEN the stride foot comes forward of the pivot foot, THAT is a 'Crow Hop'.

Is everyone thoroughly confused yet or do I need to go on. :)

sneakysoftballpitching.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish