Teaching hitting Carrier/Bustos approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
If you known him 20 years, you know where EEEEE RR comes from...:)
Sidenote: Are you Bill? Some of my students go to you for pitching I believe.
Maybe I should amend what I said.. I met him 20 years ago. We did a coaching clinic together. For all I know, he doesn't even remember me. I remember him being an extremely nice guy and I enjoyed talking with him. Unfortunately, I don't know EEEE RR.

You mentioned the Chinese team, was that other coach that you're thinking of Mike Bastian? If the coach you're talking about was a pitching guy, then you might be thinking of Rob Schweyer. Bastian was involved with Chinese softball for a long time.

Depending on where you're located, it's possible I have some of your students for pitching. :)

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Taking hands behind your head, either throwing or hitting.

I'm struggling to picture this from a throwing standpoint. I don't know that I've ever seen someone bring their throwing hand to completely behind their head in a normal throw. At least it's not one of the common problems I see (most of the girls I teach have not played before, so I see a lot of new girls at all ages). I might not be getting what you're saying though.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
So tell me his approach. Because I never liked his posts on every topic with long winded posts saying nothing and always finishing “this is what works for me”. The video of him self tossing to a student and being happy with a big grin/head bopping. Which had arm slop and a big push into the ball. He loved the swing. As far as I could tell he was just teaching a push swing with a high tech bat.

So what was Carriers approach? Was his approach to teach Busto’s to slow mo pushing the hands forward and extending the arms way out front. Creating a contact point way out front. I’ve seen that in the 90’s in fastpitch. Misinformed information. That’s not how she hit.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Maybe I should amend what I said.. I met him 20 years ago. We did a coaching clinic together. For all I know, he doesn't even remember me. I remember him being an extremely nice guy and I enjoyed talking with him. Unfortunately, I don't know EEEE RR.

You mentioned the Chinese team, was that other coach that you're thinking of Mike Bastian? If the coach you're talking about was a pitching guy, then you might be thinking of Rob Schweyer. Bastian was involved with Chinese softball for a long time.

Depending on where you're located, it's possible I have some of your students for pitching. :)
Haha. I met you once. I was at that clinic. I took Howard. It was out on 747 I think. If I remember right 3 of you did a clinic. The third was a girl I believe. Yes Mike Bastian is who Howard coached with on team China. I will explain EEEE RR later. I know some of my girls go to a guy in Indiana for pitching lessons. I thought it was you, I could be mistaken

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
So tell me his approach. Because I never liked his posts on every topic with long winded posts saying nothing and always finishing “this is what works for me”. The video of him self tossing to a student and being happy with a big grin/head bopping. Which had arm slop and a big push into the ball. He loved the swing. As far as I could tell he was just teaching a push swing with a high tech bat.

So what was Carriers approach? Was his approach to teach Busto’s to slow mo pushing the hands forward and extending the arms way out front. Creating a contact point way out front. I’ve seen that in the 90’s in fastpitch. Misinformed information. That’s not how she hit.
Shawn his approach was to teach hitting like throwing. Load inside of back leg, step out and separate, hips lead, knob faces pitcher on rotation, pull the bat through. I was with him probably 20 years. My hitters look like his hitters. I have permission from parents to post some. Just have not figured out how to do that...
SL

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Shawn his approach was to teach hitting like throwing. Load inside of back leg, step out and separate, hips lead, knob faces pitcher on rotation, pull the bat through. I was with him probably 20 years. My hitters look like his hitters. I have permission from parents to post some. Just have not figured out how to do that...
SL

It’s his/your method. There are a lot of ways to swing a bat. What you teach might work for some. It’s not the best way to swing if you want to be the best you can be whatever level and ability you reach.

You don’t load inside the back leg. That will happen when you load correctly.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Bustos demonstrating/teaching Carrier's swing is like Finch demonstrating/teaching Hello Elbow pitching. That not how either one of them actually did it when they played.

Jun 8, 2016
Bustos demonstrating/teaching Carrier's swing is like Finch demonstrating/teaching Hello Elbow pitching. That not how either one of them actually did it when they played.
For reference to let others (who are unaware of what you are talking about..) decide.. :LOL:

zg1axnL.gif

l4q4R1T.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
For reference to let others (who are unaware of what you are talking about..) decide.. :LOL:

zg1axnL.gif

l4q4R1T.gif

The drill swing is controlling the knob forward. The game swing extension is cause by making contact out front, it’s an adjustment.

Extension is an timing adjustment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish