Teaching hitting Carrier/Bustos approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
So don’t coil upper and keep knob pointed at home plate? That would be no bat wrap? What am I missing?

Timing is mechanics. Starts with the lower imo

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
What exactly are you referring to here in the bolded? Is this a Richard dig or are you actually talking about what people normally refer to as bat wrap?
What I meant is you can have timing but poor mechanics like bat wrap or upper body ahead of hips. Bat wrap is the same as a term I use loading around the corner.

Jun 8, 2016
Bat wrap is the same as a term I use loading around the corner.
So what Richard (Teacherman) teaches? Or are you talking about “hiding your hands” too much during the load? Define what you mean by corner if you don’t mind.

Aug 21, 2008
Carrier Olympic hitting coach. In his 40 years of teaching, he always taught throwing, fielding hitting. He would not teach hitting until their throwing mechanics where correct. The 20 years I do the same approach every lesson. He was a big believer in slow motion practice to learn the movements. He also thought if they throw poorly, they hit poorly. I agree. If a girl wraps the ball behind her head when she throws. She will then wrap the bat behind around the corner when she hits. Once you fix the throwing, your on your way to fix the hitting....:)
Here is one of my 20 doing a slow motion swing to feel how the body works. She started with me in 5th grade, signed and started college this year. Pitcher who hits bombs. She had 50hr. in high school.

Sorry need to learn how to post video from Facebook?
I hate to nitpick but, when did Howard Carrier become an Olympic coach? I've known him for about 20 years now, never knew him to be on the Olympic staff. I know he worked with Bustos a lot late in her career and she can't say enough good about him.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I hate to nitpick but, when did Howard Carrier become an Olympic coach? I've known him for about 20 years now, never knew him to be on the Olympic staff. I know he worked with Bustos a lot late in her career and she can't say enough good about him.
He was the hitting coach for team China. Cant remember the other guy that was the head coach I believe. Think he was from Canada. I believe all this happened before he met Bustos. He met Bustos through Steve Stigler, the guy who owned sports of all sorts on cresentville rd.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
If you known him 20 years, you know where EEEEE RR comes from...:)
Sidenote: Are you Bill? Some of my students go to you for pitching I believe.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish