Swing Plane and upright position at contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Hey folks, I appreciate all the help and comments. I don't mean to be selfish, but can the other discussion which is happening here please be taken offline or started on a new thread. Maybe I'll even come over to join the fight, :).

May 3, 2014
Thanks I will focus on this and I will work on her lower half.. butt around the leg to coil and resist with the knee. I have a feeling she will resist a little with this, she always swayed a little. I can see that being a comfort thing because she feels she is reaching back for power. However I showed her the video of her old swing and her new swing and I didn't even have to ask which was better..she knew her new swing was much more compact and efficient.

Good deal. Just don't focus on knee. Focus on rear upper leg especially where it meets the pelvis. Short anatomy lesson is that the bone you feel at your hip is your rear leg.

qsUHW8.jpg

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Buttermaker, I tried to send you a pm but your box is full. The question I had was who the player who made the greatest turn around ...

May 3, 2014
Buttermaker, I tried to send you a pm but your box is full. The question I had was who the player who made the greatest turn around ...

I think Spartans made that comment. My guess would be Judge. Cleared inbox.

I have seen a clip of Rich also working with another player on his team. Veteran player that would surprise you.

May 4, 2012
from jRYAN - "Her practice swing is still way better than her game swing, in fact it's like comparing apples and oranges"..no comment. lol

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I don't think the back knee cocking backwards is a concern. Focus on the rear hip action. If you look at the Pujols clip you will see the back knee extend while he coils in to the back hip and then flex (turn down and in) when he starts rotation. His back knee starts flexed, extends a little an then flexes again.

I'll PM you a clip showing the back knee action, This was one thing I wanted to bring up to you. The Nomar clip shows the same thing, only it's minor movement.

Dec 4, 2013
Barrel turn definitely got a little deeper. I think it's a step in the right direction. Nice work......
PujolsIR_zpsaxqyxyye.gif
swing2_zpsytvlmysp.gif

Here is a no stride swing with a similar set up to your DD. Maybe a good swing to try to emulate?

Back to the topic at hand. Now that you are moving in the right direction maybe you will consider this......Check out the rear leg of Pujols and your DD.

Pujols coils and pulls back around his rear leg and launches his barrel from that coiled position causing his rear leg to pull. That also allows him to get more barrel depth then your DD and create a more vertical bat path swinging out from his body. Shift and swing

Your did gets some coil, releases the coil, then swings. She gets to her front side before launching the barrel causing her to swing around her body. Shift then swing

She made that last change rather quickly I am confident she can do the same with this.....

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Back to the topic at hand. Now that you are moving in the right direction maybe you will consider this......Check out the rear leg of Pujols and your DD.

Pujols coils and pulls back around his rear leg and launches his barrel from that coiled position causing his rear leg to pull. That also allows him to get more barrel depth then your DD and create a more vertical bat path swinging out from his body. Shift and swing

Your did gets some coil, releases the coil, then swings. She gets to her front side before launching the barrel causing her to swing around her body. Shift then swing

She made that last change rather quickly I am confident she can do the same with this.....

Nice post, simple.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I am more interested in picking fights? You came here to brag about your dd and to show us how she has a superior swing, mention that you are looking forward to the fight and I'm the one? I posted observations. FFS has posted one video of BM where anyone watching can hear him make a statement which is similar to the comments TM made. I see in your dd's video several things like the "elvis move," turned in back foot, pulling the bow back, ... and know where those concepts came from and so I mention again my observation that the stuff you are learning could be gleaned from other people and I'm the one picking fights. That is laughable at best.

BTW, while I was "picking fights," I posted some drills that I do in my lessons and have done for years that demonstrate that this stuff isn't attributable to one person. I mentioned that I posted video of my dd's progress and so those like FFS who were around for the entire journey can verify that I made changes long ago to my dd's swing due to help from him, Mud, MarkH, SE, BM, Bluedog, and Chappy. I then posted a couple of drills that I have done, explained them the best I can and tried to contribute some real substance to this thread and I'm the one picking fights. All along the way, I've posted my name. You can look me up. I have never hidden EVER WHO I AM AND WHAT I'VE DONE. I HAVE NEVER HIDDEN WHO MY CHILD IS AND WHAT SHE ACHIEVED. I have posted countless times that I have never been to HI and would rather die than watch that scum do anything and yet, I have been called a liar on this site by someone I thought I got along with pretty well and I am the one picking fights?

Good luck to you and your dd. Noblseville, IN is a very nice town. Dr. Benker, (DVM) who owned a stallion (Reserve World Champion Color Me Skip) we used to breed our mares to, lives there and so I've been there a lot.

I recall posts discussing an "oar lock" analogy (BM description), a functionality of bottom hand flattening to the 'swing plane' early, pulling, and switching roles from a force generator to a pivot point at contact. At the time TM poo-pooed the “oar lock” concept. He argued strongly against it. There were arguments over whether the swing was launched by a rear forearm powered swivel versus an oar lock. They were discussed as being distinctly different … and now we learn that TM considers them the same. That is why I found it interesting that he recently followed-up with folks having an issue with his rear forearm swivel concept and equated it to the “oar lock” concept. Nothing wrong with evolving ... it's a good thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi