Swing Plane and upright position at contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Shocked-face_zpsdmgfih73.png

uhhhhhh...............Thanks brah? :confused:

Sorry man, my bad. I'm a dumba$$ and I didn't know that I was being trolled by a loser who can't maintain a profile. I was super p'd when I realized what he did.

FWIW I literally LOL'd when I saw your response :).

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
JJblume has a long and colorful past. He clearly has some interest in and knowledge of softball, but at this time, is not a "play well with others" kind of person. Sadly, his current profile will be banned soon. Instead of learning and finding a way to add, he continues to troll and fall down the same hole he digs for himself--time and time again. I wish the best for folks and hope that someday he finds the desire to add and not compete for the perceived "win" at any cost.

@Ken B, thanks for chiming in, I appreciate it.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My DD wasn't blessed with tremendous athletic ability... She is a lefty with insane bendiness and below average running speed... She has one angle to play in HS and that is pitching so right now we are playing on a B travel team getting all the innings she can. She has the heart of a lion and determination. She works longer and harder than anyone around her and that is why she hasn't washed out of the sport. Her practice swing is still way better than her game swing, in fact it's like comparing apples and oranges... If we didn't have to work on pitching almost all of the time, I would like to think that her game swing would have integrated much more quickly, but it is what it is. Not that you would care, but we lost the better part of a year of hitting progress due to a wrist injury right when things were coming together. If you really want to learn more about her, it's all documented on HI where caring parents such as myself pickup bats and swing in order to learn.

I'm slow and just figuring out that you probably think that I posted her swing as a brag, but I did not. Yes, I am proud of it, but I posted it for the sole reason of demonstrating to all the hitting newb's that HI mechanics will produce results. What better way to demonstrate that HI mechanics work than to show real clips of the product.

jryan -- the bold above are an exact match of my DD. So I know where you are coming from. Keep working hard and she will make it. Believe me, if she can rake, a coach will find someway to put her in the lineup. But spending time on both pitching and hitting can be a challenge at times. Good luck!

May 3, 2014

Absolutely huge improvement! Plenty left to do, but a great start!

Ask her now to not let rear knee rotate back as she coils. Ask her to turn her rear butt cheek around her rear leg to coil and make the rear leg try and rotate forward against the coil. And really sell out to turning the knob to the nose immediately. Ask her to try and keep her back behind the rear leg even longer. This will help her get more one legged.

Good look at a barrel turn - watch the knob
vfcaQ8.gif

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016

Ask her now to not let rear knee rotate back as she coils. Ask her to turn her rear butt cheek around her rear leg to coil and make the rear leg try and rotate forward against the coil. And really sell out to turning the knob to the nose immediately. Ask her to try and keep her back behind the rear leg even longer. This will help her get more one legged.

vfcaQ8.gif

Along with Buttermaker's good advice I would also suggest something small..don't have her look at the tee the whole time. Start off like you would with a pitched ball e.g looking at the pitcher. Nice improvement in such a small timeframe. Would be good to show some swings off of a pitched ball as well if you have any or can take some video.

May 12, 2016

vfcaQ8.gif

Thank you. As you know we've made some drastic changes here in mid season and I know she will be a better hitter because of it. I'd imagine in a game swing we will see some old habbits leaking back in, so I still need to enforce what she's learned so far. I know it's hard to compartmentalize a good swing, but I don't want to throw to much at her at once... what would you say would be the most important thing to work on next? Sorry, don't want to put you on the spot but I am sure you understand my concern.

May 12, 2016
Along with Buttermaker's good advice I would also suggest something small..don't have her look at the tee the whole time. Start off like you would with a pitched ball e.g looking at the pitcher. Nice improvement in such a small timeframe. Would be good to show some swings off of a pitched ball as well if you have any or can take some video.

Thanks Pattar, I'll ask her to do this as well. I should have some live swings on Sunday.

May 3, 2014
Thank you. As you know we've made some drastic changes here in mid season and I know she will be a better hitter because of it. I'd imagine in a game swing we will see some old habbits leaking back in, so I still need to enforce what she's learned so far. I know it's hard to compartmentalize a good swing, but I don't want to throw to much at her at once... what would you say would be the most important thing to work on next? Sorry, don't want to put you on the spot but I am sure you understand my concern.

Most important to me is learning barrel turn. Rich has said it directly to me when we met up in April that the body will support what the hands want to do and I agree. So, if you focus on the barrel turn the body will start to organize around that by wanting to stay back and be one legged. This will build the forearm strength needed to make it automatic and as snappy as possible. This is why I love the knob to nose cue.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Setting the record straight... I just noticed how you framed the screen shots to make it look like I was the one looking for a fight. No wonder everyone was coming after me. Not to throw Spartans under the buss, but he was the one commenting about fighting. Turns out that JJblume is the deceitful one...

View attachment 11980

While it might seem like HI members come here looking for a fight, it's quite the opposite. We come here to spread knowledge and our experiences, but we know that as soon as we do, we will be attacked. On the contrary JJblume and Cannonball didn't start posting in this thread until after the HI video was posted. They are more interested in making personal attacks than helping.

Looking at the first 5 pages, anyone can see that people spreading HI type content were the first to offer support.

I am more interested in picking fights? You came here to brag about your dd and to show us how she has a superior swing, mention that you are looking forward to the fight and I'm the one? I posted observations. FFS has posted one video of BM where anyone watching can hear him make a statement which is similar to the comments TM made. I see in your dd's video several things like the "elvis move," turned in back foot, pulling the bow back, ... and know where those concepts came from and so I mention again my observation that the stuff you are learning could be gleaned from other people and I'm the one picking fights. That is laughable at best.

BTW, while I was "picking fights," I posted some drills that I do in my lessons and have done for years that demonstrate that this stuff isn't attributable to one person. I mentioned that I posted video of my dd's progress and so those like FFS who were around for the entire journey can verify that I made changes long ago to my dd's swing due to help from him, Mud, MarkH, SE, BM, Bluedog, and Chappy. I then posted a couple of drills that I have done, explained them the best I can and tried to contribute some real substance to this thread and I'm the one picking fights. All along the way, I've posted my name. You can look me up. I have never hidden EVER WHO I AM AND WHAT I'VE DONE. I HAVE NEVER HIDDEN WHO MY CHILD IS AND WHAT SHE ACHIEVED. I have posted countless times that I have never been to HI and would rather die than watch that scum do anything and yet, I have been called a liar on this site by someone I thought I got along with pretty well and I am the one picking fights?

Good luck to you and your dd. Noblseville, IN is a very nice town. Dr. Benker, (DVM) who owned a stallion (Reserve World Champion Color Me Skip) we used to breed our mares to, lives there and so I've been there a lot.

May 12, 2016
Most important to me is learning barrel turn. Rich has said it directly to me when we met up in April that the body will support what the hands want to do and I agree. So, if you focus on the barrel turn the body will start to organize around that by wanting to stay back and be one legged. This will build the forearm strength needed to make it automatic and as snappy as possible. This is why I love the knob to nose cue.

Thanks I will focus on this and I will work on her lower half.. butt around the leg to coil and resist with the knee. I have a feeling she will resist a little with this, she always swayed a little. I can see that being a comfort thing because she feels she is reaching back for power. However I showed her the video of her old swing and her new swing and I didn't even have to ask which was better..she knew her new swing was much more compact and efficient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG