Swing Plane and upright position at contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I recall posts discussing an "oar lock" analogy (BM description), a functionality of bottom hand flattening to the 'swing plane' early, pulling, and switching roles from a force generator to a pivot point at contact. At the time TM poo-pooed the “oar lock” concept. He argued strongly against it. There were arguments over whether the swing was launched by a rear forearm powered swivel versus an oar lock. They were discussed as being distinctly different … and now we learn that TM considers them the same. That is why I found it interesting that he recently followed-up with folks having an issue with his rear forearm swivel concept and equated it to the “oar lock” concept. Nothing wrong with evolving ... it's a good thing.

Interesting because we remember the same thing.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Like you have never been to HI web site or blog. I have never been to any of the above sites or hitting instructors.
Cannon,
Not calling you a liar. Never had/has called you a liar. My sentence was ''Like you have never been to HI'' not as 'Oh like you have never been to HI'. See the difference....
Then it was followed by ''I have never been to any of the above sites or instructors. May be I should have added EITHER and it would have been easier to understand.
Sorry for the confusing. I have to go back and read to catch up.
Added:all caught up and will bail out of this thread to allow it to get back to the poster julray's DD.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
swing2_zpsytvlmysp.gif

Read on BBD rayr:
Staying back is about the back. If a hitter can keep their back back then they can get as forward as they want with a stride.
This hitter needs to find her back. Needs to sop hitting with her chest/front shoulder and find her back.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
BTW, Jack Mankin described the "oar lock" when he first came out with his info. All the stuff being discussed is based on his description of the swing. So there is nothing new iunder the sun.

Not to side track the topic, so I'll move on.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_os2rqnFimO1usf292o1_250.gif

This is what needs to be worked on 'tighten up' There should be no 'slop', re-adjustment, lowering of the hands ect....before goooooooo:
tumblr_os2spq4XJq1usf292o1_250.gif

Turn the barrel right nowwwwwww......
Also.....
tumblr_os2t1en9Ii1usf292o1_250.gif

Move the tee a couple more inches back and in towards DD. I would put a duct tape plate down so, I could have a permanent place for my DD to know where to set up in relation to the tee. Tell your DD to 'finish her swing'. Long through the ball. Don't be so quick to make the left hand turn.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
tumblr_os2rqnFimO1usf292o1_250.gif

This is what needs to be worked on 'tighten up' There should be no 'slop', re-adjustment, lowering of the hands ect....before goooooooo:
tumblr_os2spq4XJq1usf292o1_250.gif

Turn the barrel right nowwwwwww......
Thanks you, I have a hard time with this as well. I understand what you are saying, but I find this movement difficult to execute when thinking about other aspects of the swing and trying to hit the ball as well

Also.....
tumblr_os2t1en9Ii1usf292o1_250.gif

Move the tee a couple more inches back and in towards DD. I would put a duct tape plate down so, I could have a permanent place for my DD to know where to set up in relation to the tee
Great idea

Tell your DD to 'finish her swing'. Long through the ball. Don't be so quick to make the left hand turn.
Even an amateur like me can see this... I can see she's pulling off the ball.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Even an amateur
We're all amateurs here...
I have a hard time with this as well. I understand what you are saying, but I find this movement difficult to execute when thinking about other aspects of the swing and trying to hit the ball as well
The only thought is 'turning the barrel forward towards the ball'. The body will learn and support that thought.
Another thing that will help with that goal is to create a 'corner' from which to turn the barrel.

Butter said and I agree:
if you focus on the barrel turn the body will start to organize around that by wanting to stay back and be one legged.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016

The only thought is 'turning the barrel forward towards the ball'. The body will learn and support that thought.

Another thing that will help with that goal is to create a 'corner' from which to turn the barrel.

I am not sure what you mean by create a corner

Butter said and I agree:

I remember Butter saying this.. thanks

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Butter said and I agree:

I remember Butter saying this.. thanks

Yet the lower body has yet to adapt .... suggesting that either the goal is not correct yet, or the logic of the lower body adapting is not correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi