Swing Plane and upright position at contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thank you.

I mentioned previously that I love the drill, unfortunately it screwed my daughter up. Because the drill involves taking such a big step, my daughter started to lunge a lot. Not Stone's fault LOL, just doesn't work for my DD. So I'd rather not do it. But please feel free to point out where she's out of sequence

To elaborate, she can do the drill just fine... but when applying to a no stride approach it really screwed her up

The current no-stride approach is screwed up.

May 12, 2016
The current no-stride approach is screwed up.

Well that drill really didn't help her much...see first video. I am hoping the current swing is an improvement over the first video I posted. We had a difficult time applying that drill to her game swing, not saying it won't help others, but it's not a good fit for my dd, we use to do it religiously.

Maybe you can point out what's screwed up with her current swing, specifics would help instead of just saying her sequencing is incorrect.

May 12, 2016
Any drills for tilting hip behind rear leg? Basically lateral tilt? I have videos, just wondering if there was something more practical

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Well that drill really didn't help her much...see first video. I am hoping the current swing is an improvement over the first video I posted. We had a difficult time applying that drill to her game swing, not saying it won't help others, but it's not a good fit for my dd, we use to do it religiously.

Maybe you can point out what's screwed up with her current swing, specifics would help instead of just saying her sequencing is incorrect.

The swing has improved. The lower body has not.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS

Just using the following 2 clips.....look at the pelvis only of each hitter. Put your mouse over the rear belt loop or front belt loop, doesn't matter...
What does the Kemp do with His pelvis that your DD doesn't do?
Your DD's idea of coiling into the rear hip joint is currently flawed. The pelvis needs to move back(tilted) in a sitting type of action, and forward of the rear leg(toward the field of play), all while the upper torso, chest work to stay put until it's time to swing. Can you see this in Kemp's swing below?
Your DD's pressure is down, onto Her rear leg. Kemp's is back and forward of His rear leg. Hope this helps...

Another point of interest for you. Put your mouse on top of your DD's head.....Why does Her head move that way?
The lower body should work before the "barrel turn". It sets up a clean environment for the hand, forearms to work.

HAb09cg.gif

Kemp-Matt-2011-Side.gif

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I make it easy for you.

Coil hip around rear leg
Pull scap into spine
Turn barrel
Tilt hip behind rear leg
Rear leg snaps

Years ago Swingbuilder, one of the originals starting HI, dumbed the swing down to three basic steps ... Coil, Stretch, Separate.

For someone new, the coil can be thought of as the move out. The stretch can be thought of as taking the slack out of the core during the move out ... a walk-away-from-the-hands with a 'pull-back' that takes the slack out of the core. The separate can be thought of as what I refer to as the 'extra stretch', or what HI refers to as the 'missing frames', or simply a whole body type move that initiates the swing through a lateral tilting process.

Pretty simple ... Coil-Stretch-Separate.

Ted4a_Coil_Stretch_Swing2.gif

Dec 4, 2013
Years ago Swingbuilder, one of the originals starting HI, dumbed the swing down to three basic steps ... Coil, Stretch, Separate.

For someone new, the coil can be thought of as the move out. The stretch can be thought of as taking the slack out of the core during the move out ... a walk-away-from-the-hands with a 'pull-back' that takes the slack out of the core. The separate can be thought of as what I refer to as the 'extra stretch', or what HI refers to as the 'missing frames', or simply a whole body type move that initiates the swing through a lateral tilting process.

Pretty simple ... Coil-Stretch-Separate.

Ted4a_Coil_Stretch_Swing2.gif

Nice..........I am a huge fan of simplifying things, especially when working with kids. They may not need to completely understand the entire the process. If they can comprehend and replicate the movements listed above I think they will be in a really good place....

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

See post above for Coil-Stretch-Separate. From such a perspective the 'coil' is missing in this swing here ....

HAb09cg.gif

The 'coil' is not missing in this swing here ...

Kemp-Matt-2011-Side.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red