Swing Plane and upright position at contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
CB, I don't show my "work" much anymore but I get calls from people who see my hitters hit. This spring I picked up a couple of college hitters because I was asked to go to field before game to help get one of my hitters back on track. Worked with before game in front of teammates and parents. She goes 3-4 with a homerun. Her teammates were asking between games what I showed her lol.

We go back a long way. In fact, I still have the first pm you sent me inquiring about another site. I know you work with hitters and that you have had great success.

I WILL RETRACT MY STATEMENT. I AM WRONG. PEOPLE PARTICIPATING IN THIS THREAD HAVE POSTED THEIR WORK.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
If you don't mind me asking how old was your DD there?

No I don't mind. DD is 18 now, soon to be 19. Will be a sophomore come Sept. 2nd year in college playing DIII. I think 14 or 15 depending when video was shot.
Full disclosure: I only work with my DD. I have not nor have I ever had any students. So, take or not what I say based on 1 hitter.
Truthfully I don't care. I will only continue to post as long as she continues to play. For those who have played in college know that it's year to year dependent on the coach. After DD's softball career is over I'll be off to surftalk( a fishing forum).

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
In this thread majority of the posters have posted their 'work'. I haven't posted my 'work'(DD) in a couple of years(2014?) but, still have posted DD's swings.
Last posted swing:
jV_Dg5.gif

Swing before DD 'found' her back. Lateral tilting would have helped and has helped.

Thank you for posting this, do you have a comparison swing for after she 'found' her back?

Jun 8, 2016
No I don't mind. DD is 18 now, soon to be 19. Will be a sophomore come Sept. 2nd year in college playing DIII. I think 14 or 15 depending when video was shot.
Full disclosure: I only work with my DD. I have not nor have I ever had any students. So, take or not what I say based on 1 hitter.
Truthfully I don't care. I will only continue to post as long as she continues to play. For those who have played in college know that it's year to year dependent on the coach. After DD's softball career is over I'll be off to surftalk( a fishing forum).

Thanks. Rode the bench my freshmen year in college (DIII). Started my sophomore at second base through first 12 games. Caught mono, didn't know it and kept playing. Got benched (probably for good reason..was walking dead) and then
decided I needed to make a decision..baseball or engineering because if I didn't choose I was going to keel over (study till 2 am, winter practices at 6am..no wonder I got mono). Chose engineering....So yeah I understand how things go in college. Tell your DD some random guy on the internet says good luck in soph year..;)

May 12, 2016
You are just starting on this stuff. Even if she gets it conceptually you need to train the movements to replace what she was doing. And even then when you introduce a live pitch things will probably revert back. Keep at it. Keep training the swivel. And don't get caught up in trying to reconcile things people say that seem to make sense but only slow progress.

Wow frustrating game last night! 0 for 3, 3 strike outs, fouled one ball and didn't touch another pitch. Swing and a miss. Did I ever get dirty looks after the game... :). Weird thing is, she developed this very awkward low stance, knees bent so far and looked very small in the box. We didn't even talk about her stance, so I have no idea where that came from??? Worse hitting game of her life. Pitcher was just throwing straight up heat as well, which she always does very well with.

Jun 8, 2016
Wow frustrating game last night! 0 for 3, 3 strike outs, fouled one ball and didn't touch another pitch. Swing and a miss. Did I ever get dirty looks after the game... :). Weird thing is, she developed this very awkward low stance, knees bent so far and looked very small in the box. We didn't even talk about her stance, so I have no idea where that came from??? Worse hitting game of her life. Pitcher was just throwing straight up heat as well, which she always does very well with.

Video?? I wouldn't sweat it sometimes you might go backwards a bit when you are learning new stuff..kind of get caught between patterns. It is going to take some time.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Have you tried snap stops? Wall Drill seems like a good fit for your DD as well. Snap stops with a wall is one I use all the time as well....

This here is a good recommendation. Doesn't necessary have to be 'snap stops', but the notion of 'snapping the bat', back near the handset, is likely to recruit the 'entire body' ... inclusive of a 'lateral tilt'. Simply imagine that there is a pole running from the ground up towards the sky, and your job is to 'snap' it ... break it where the barrel is held between your hands. Understand the goal ... the recruitment of the entire body, inclusive of the lateral tilt, to snap the object (the bat handle) that is between your hands. It will need to have the feel of a ballistic type action .... it's a Riggghhhtttttttt NOW!!! type action.

extrastretch_missingframes_rearlegir2.gif

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks. Rode the bench my freshmen year in college (DIII). Started my sophomore at second base through first 12 games. Caught mono, didn't know it and kept playing. Got benched (probably for good reason..was walking dead) and then
decided I needed to make a decision..baseball or engineering because if I didn't choose I was going to keel over (study till 2 am, winter practices at 6am..no wonder I got mono). Chose engineering....So yeah I understand how things go in college. Tell your DD some random guy on the internet says good luck in soph year..;)

For many, college is a vehicle to build a strong base for the remainder of their careers. How you use chose to use those years can make a big difference in how you end up living your life.

Jun 8, 2016
For many, college is a vehicle to build a strong base for the remainder of their careers. How you use chose to use those years can make a big difference in how you end up living your life.

Worked out fine (I am a Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering professor now) but I do wonder sometimes what those last 2.5 years in baseball would have been like if I had decided to keep playing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877