Swing Plane and upright position at contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
julray, my recommendation is to read all of these pieces of advice but you have to go with the ones that make sense to you. You have differences in opinions from posters here and, to be honest, all have had some success and they have done so taking different routes. Include me in that group. If comments/posts don't make sense to you, then you can't transfer that knowledge to your dd. Learn as much as you can. Go slow but with purpose with your dd. Fixes in one area often lead to fixes in others due to the nature of the one fix. For example, if you can get the hand action right, I might then help with things I teach/look for such as that lateral tilt. Finally, no poster on this site knows it all. Few on this site have posted their work. While that may or may not be important, and there are many reasons that they might not post their work, none of us know how they translate what they say they believe into that finished product.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Finally, no poster on this site knows it all. Few on this site have posted their work. While that may or may not be important, and there are many reasons that they might not post their work, none of us know how they translate what they say they believe into that finished product.
In this thread majority of the posters have posted their 'work'. I haven't posted my 'work'(DD) in a couple of years(2014?) but, still have posted DD's swings.
Last posted swing:
jV_Dg5.gif

Swing before DD 'found' her back. Lateral tilting would have helped and has helped.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2013
I don't know, it's kind of hard to work on that motion when the shoulder slipping forward is dominating the swing. I've seen her forearm swivel when isolated, but when integrated with the swing the shoulders are dominating. I understand why I need to be cautious with this, just want her to get the feeling how the shoulders should behave. Every MLB hitter video I have looked at shows the front shoulder popping up. Regardless cause or effect, I want her to feel what it's like to swing with your back and to stop pushing forward.

Thanks

Have you tried snap stops? Wall Drill seems like a good fit for your DD as well. Snap stops with a wall is one I use all the time as well....

Jun 8, 2016
In this thread majority of the posters have posted their 'work'. I haven't posted my 'work'(DD) in a couple of years(2014?) but, still have posted DD's swings.
Last posted swing:
jV_Dg5.gif

Swing before DD 'found' her back. Lateral tilting would have helped and has helped.

If you don't mind me asking how old was your DD there?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Last posted swing:
jV_Dg5.gif

I went through all of the members who have posted in this thread and there are a good number who's work I have not seen. Perhaps I have missed that work.

Did you consider that bad advice and especially when I stated that there are, "many reasons they may not post their work?" If you were going to build a house, do you take the contractor's word for what they do or do you want to see their work? When someone say that someone is "hot," are they good looking or very warm? The written word and/or cues don't always translate in ways that someone gets the actual meaning. I stand by that recommendation and you did notice that I included myself in the warning to julray. I'll save you yet another posting of BB's swing unless someone wants me to do so.

Attachments

• BB hitting.jpg
    BB hitting.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 57
  • BB Hitting Italy 4.jpg
    BB Hitting Italy 4.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Dec 4, 2013
I went through all of the members who have posted in this thread and there are a good number who's work I have not seen. Perhaps I have missed that work.

Did you consider that bad advice and especially when I stated that there are, "many reasons they may not post their work?" If you were going to build a house, do you take the contractor's word for what they do or do you want to see their work? When someone say that someone is "hot," are they good looking or very warm? The written word and/or cues don't always translate in ways that someone gets the actual meaning. I stand by that recommendation and you did notice that I included myself in the warning to julray. I'll save you yet another posting of BB's swing unless someone wants me to do so.

MP%201010_zpsfrf9mdak.gif

Hope I'm not one, I posted a couple through the years. Here is a dry swing from last fall. Emphasis on launching from one leg. Not bleeding the coil before launch.......

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Spartan's I didn't remember you posting that and thanks. At least a part of my point was with regards to instruction of their students. Still that was a nice effort and I appreciate you posting that.

May 3, 2014
I don't know, it's kind of hard to work on that motion when the shoulder slipping forward is dominating the swing. I've seen her forearm swivel when isolated, but when integrated with the swing the shoulders are dominating. I understand why I need to be cautious with this, just want her to get the feeling how the shoulders should behave. Every MLB hitter video I have looked at shows the front shoulder popping up. Regardless cause or effect, I want her to feel what it's like to swing with your back and to stop pushing forward.

Thanks

You are just starting on this stuff. Even if she gets it conceptually you need to train the movements to replace what she was doing. And even then when you introduce a live pitch things will probably revert back. Keep at it. Keep training the swivel. And don't get caught up in trying to reconcile things people say that seem to make sense but only slow progress.

May 3, 2014

CB, I don't show my "work" much anymore but I get calls from people who see my hitters hit. This spring I picked up a couple of college hitters because I was asked to go to field before game to help get one of my hitters back on track. Worked with before game in front of teammates and parents. She goes 3-4 with a homerun. Her teammates were asking between games what I showed her lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish