Swing Plane and upright position at contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJblume

Banned
Jun 6, 2017
Can u explain that. Taken literally that a horrible cue. Can you explain the thought behind it. I visualize an uppercut with that cue

May 3, 2014
Can u explain that. Taken literally that a horrible cue. Can you explain the thought behind it. I visualize an uppercut with that cue

If you think it's a horrible cue then don't use it. But, I would try and see what happens. No problem for any of my hitters using it off a tee or front toss. The problem comes in trusting it in live hitting.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I also liked the laser the ball cue. I also liked the discussion on the front elbow. The end of the video with different ways to get the 'turning the handle' was great. Best 1 hour 18 minutes I had last night.

JJblume

Banned
Jun 6, 2017
If you think it's a horrible cue then don't use it. But, I would try and see what happens. No problem for any of my hitters using it off a tee or front toss. The problem comes in trusting it in live hitting.

That still doesnt explain the purpose. Literally taking knob to the nose is as you say horrible, if not to be taken literal....then its taken how? its meant to promote what? Not saying i disagree for sure because i have not used it. In my mind , i dont see how it would help. I did like the laser but ive been doing that for years with a light.

Last edited:

JJblume

Banned
Jun 6, 2017
I also liked the laser the ball cue. I also liked the discussion on the front elbow. The end of the video with different ways to get the 'turning the handle' was great. Best 1 hour 18 minutes I had last night.

Poor guy. Jk

Dec 4, 2013

Agreed Bass, that video is special. I was waiting for the day it would be released......I was lucky enough to be at that clinic and things changed for me after that. I find the laser cue to be excellent, especially when first introducing it or working with young kids. I like to challenge the kids how fast they can get their laser to slice through the ball. I will demo a swing where I am pointing my laser at the ball then swinging (hands to the ball type swing), followed by a swing where I am seeing how fast my laser can cut through the ball............To add to that I like the laser talk to help them visualize bat path. We talk about what the slice would look like on each ball location as we move the tee up and down. They usually figure it out that a high pitch would have a very horizontal slice, belt high pitch more of a diagonal slice, and a low pitch and even more diagonal approaching vertical slice......

JJblume

Banned
Jun 6, 2017
Some of the elbo talk i did not like, i think teaching elbo jut is a teach that should be left alone in most cases and can promote a real bad upper cut swing.

I dont particularly like his balance at all in his demo swings, he gives himself a bit to much credit for having a perfect swing imo

Dec 4, 2013
It's promoting you to use your forearms to turn the barrel. Exaggerating the motion and turning the knob "up" really helps them feel the hand pivot point. I will have them swing a pipe or fungo bat and have them choke up a bunch and literally ask them to hold the bat upright and turn the barrel upside down. Great step in getting kids to by pass shoulder rotation.

JJblume

Banned
Jun 6, 2017
Agreed Bass, that video is special. I was waiting for the day it would be released......I was lucky enough to be at that clinic and things changed for me after that. I find the laser cue to be excellent, especially when first introducing it or working with young kids. I like to challenge the kids how fast they can get their laser to slice through the ball. I will demo a swing where I am pointing my laser at the ball then swinging (hands to the ball type swing), followed by a swing where I am seeing how fast my laser can cut through the ball............To add to that I like the laser talk to help them visualize bat path. We talk about what the slice would look like on each ball location as we move the tee up and down. They usually figure it out that a high pitch would have a very horizontal slice, belt high pitch more of a diagonal slice, and a low pitch and even more diagonal approaching vertical slice......

Thats something not gone over in the video, how excatly are you slicing the ball. On the outside of the ball...on the inside third...on a diagonal plane. Lot of missing info...i use a flashlight on the end of a bat and try to slice the inside of the ball diagonally, following behind with the barrel, sounds like the same concept.

JJblume

Banned
Jun 6, 2017
It's promoting you to use your forearms to turn the barrel. Exaggerating the motion and turning the knob "up" really helps them feel the hand pivot point. I will have them swing a pipe or fungo bat and have them choke up a bunch and literally ask them to hold the bat upright and turn the barrel upside down. Great step in getting kids to by pass shoulder rotation.

I will try, i dont see how teaching a kid to flatten the barrel is a good thing. I do like how it teaches the torque of the handle. I do think this drill needs to be monitored..for a fact this drill can promote a dropping of the barrel, not good . But if it helps with over rotation of the shoulders i will give it a try. Im always looking to improve how the message can get relayed. What can help, improve the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877