Swing Plane and upright position at contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
My views are different. I don't think there is a lot of muscle memory involved when the best hitters hit (and throw). Same opinion for hand-eye coordination (although it certainly helps).

When your swing is properly connected up through the leg, back, scap, and with the bat in the hands, swinging the right way is just plain efficient. It just flows from a barrel turn. Once you learn to coil correctly and launch the barrel in a way that does not have slop, does not separate at the waist, and does not involve shoulder rotation, all the sudden you just start squaring everything up. No hand-eye coordination improvements are required. If you do have waist separation or are powering the barrel with the arms or shoulders way in front of the hips, then hand-eye coordination is critical (so is pitch trajectory tracking).

The concepts discussed in this video are nothing short of revolutionary.

Hitting Illustrated Clinic

Didn't watch video but first off hand-eye allow for adjustments to be made for pitch location and speed..if a pitch were the same speed and location every time eventually you
could probably hit well with your eyes closed. As far as muscle memory goes, what you want to do is swing correctly without consciously thinking about loading,striding, etc,etc,
Muscle memory allows you to do that and comes with repetition.When you swing a bat are you thinking about all of the different parts of the swing?? I doubt it...and that is what muscle memory does
for you. Also I think motor learning is the proper neuroscience term for this not muscle memory.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Didn't watch video but first off hand-eye allow for adjustments to be made for pitch location and speed..if a pitch were the same speed and location every time eventually you
could probably hit well with your eyes closed.

I did not make my point well. What I mean is that many of the kids that we see with bad hitting results can be perceived as having poor hand-eye coordination when in fact they have early barrel commitment issues. A high level swing with good coil, resistance, minimal weight shift, and a great barrel turn will require significantly less time from "GO" to "CONTACT". The mechanics changes can shave 1 to 3 frames off of decent swings (let alone poor ones). 1 to 3 frames is a HUGE improvement and will reduce the effects of time related error such as the ball breaking and poor pitch reads.

When a kid's mechanics change in this way, they will start squaring up more balls immediately. On the surface it could be mistaken as an improvement in hand-eye coordination, but the true source of the improvement is mechanical improvements.

As far as muscle memory goes, what you want to do is swing correctly without consciously thinking about loading,striding, etc,etc,
Muscle memory allows you to do that and comes with repetition.When you swing a bat are you thinking about all of the different parts of the swing?? I doubt it...and that is what muscle memory does
for you. Also I think motor learning is the proper neuroscience term for this not muscle memory.

A high level swing is less reliant on muscle memory. Good coil and resistance will automate the rear hip, stride and front foot actions are also minimized. In the HI swing the front foot doesn't need to plant, it gets planted. The shoulders are bypassed and will turn with the hips.

Low level swings require so many more time critical manual actions to happen. High level swings eliminate numerous things that would otherwise require manual/independent muscle activation. Manual/independent muscle activations require muscle memory... When you swing in the pattern, you just need to let the ball get deep and turn the barrel. The rest will take care of itself by nature of bio-mechanics, not muscle memory.

JJblume

Banned
Jun 6, 2017
View attachment 11960View attachment 11961

This is my daughter in highschool, junior I believe...This ball was all ready hit. See how close her lead arm is to her chest. At impact you want your lead arm and bat to be somewhat straight in line.
Arm and bat have a slight curve but almost straight at impact
The pro has a slight radius from shoulder to end of bat, fairly tight to the chest

see the difference? your dd lead arm goes out and makes a 45 degree turn to go down the forearm and bat.
In your stills your daughter pulled the knob to far before release. her upper body gets ahead of rotation in video

On rotation you don't want the hands to get past the stripe of your rear pants
leg too early.

Straightleg

Girls have come a long way in their attire...yikes

JJblume

Banned
Jun 6, 2017
Holy over analysis. I may not be a pitching guru but i know hitting well. Dont worry about the head and 99% of whats in this thread.

This girl needs to get one legged and learn what stay back means. I can help you via pm

JJblume

Banned
Jun 6, 2017
If you do some of these things that jryan suggests. It all falls into place. No worrying about the head the foot the elbow. The kinetic chain is linked up. Synced up. Its like magic.

JJblume

Banned
Jun 6, 2017
This dad can help his daughter tremendously by learning what this mans talking about at around the 7;30 mark, kinda what i was talking about.

I do not agree with several points in that video but i feel hes spot on with his weight distribution.

Dec 4, 2013
This dad can help his daughter tremendously by learning what this mans talking about at around the 7;30 mark, kinda what i was talking about.

I do not agree with several points in that video but i feel hes spot on with his weight distribution.

I agree with your over analysis comment about this thread.......

What aspects of the video are you in disagreement with?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Thank you for posting the above video.

Enjoyed the segment from about 1:05:50 to 1:08:40. Clearly demonstrates how the bottom-hand & lead-arm sends the barrel into the arc. Used the term “oar lock” … which was the analogy Boardmember used several years ago to describe the action. Comments that the "swivel" is the same thing as the “oar lock”.

May 3, 2014
Thank you for posting the above video.

Enjoyed the segment from about 1:05:50 to 1:08:40. Clearly demonstrates how the bottom-hand & lead-arm sends the barrel into the arc. Used the term “oar lock” … which was the analogy Boardmember used several years ago to describe the action. Comments that the "swivel" is the same thing as the “oar lock”.

Turn the knob up to your nose immediately is a cue Rich has passed along recently. It is one of the best cues you can use.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877