Swing Critique? 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2020
Rule number 1: Never turn a 400 hitter into a 200 hitter.
I heard this before, maybe Matt Lisle?

Unfortunately, last year she was incredibly timid, which was strange for her, and she didn't hit much. She has a particular goal of courage, and she has never been this intense, so I hope it carries over this year.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I heard this before, maybe Matt Lisle?

Unfortunately, last year she was incredibly timid, which was strange for her, and she didn't hit much. She has a particular goal of courage, and she has never been this intense, so I hope it carries over this year.

One of the biggest hurdles for a young hitter is what happens between their ears. When my DD was this age, she struggled with confidence in the box, despite being a pretty good hitter in practice. One of the things we talked about was body language. If you step into the box, looking nervous and afraid, you've already given the pitcher a confidence boost without her even throwing a pitch. If you step into the box looking confident (even if you don't feel it), and looking like you're ready for anything, you take that advantage away from the pitcher. My DD faked it for a little while...and then she started having success. That success bred real confidence that she has continued to thrive with many years later.

Another big part of the equation is intent. You must step into the box with intent of hitting the ball hard, and expect that EVERY PITCH is an opportunity to do it. Wisdom from the great coach, Sue Enquist...

Dec 12, 2020
One of the biggest hurdles for a young hitter is what happens between their ears. When my DD was this age, she struggled with confidence in the box, despite being a pretty good hitter in practice. One of the things we talked about was body language. If you step into the box, looking nervous and afraid, you've already given the pitcher a confidence boost without her even throwing a pitch. If you step into the box looking confident (even if you don't feel it), and looking like you're ready for anything, you take that advantage away from the pitcher. My DD faked it for a little while...and then she started having success. That success bred real confidence that she has continued to thrive with many years later.

Another big part of the equation is intent. You must step into the box with intent of hitting the ball hard, and expect that EVERY PITCH is an opportunity to do it. Wisdom from the great coach, Sue Enquist...
Player pitch definitely got in her head last year. We'll certainly focus on the mental aspect.

The youtube link is unavailable, any other link? I'd like to see it.

Thanks for the response.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

This 54 second video is worth 6 months of hitting lessons.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Player pitch definitely got in her head last year. We'll certainly focus on the mental aspect.

This is very common. Player go from confidence that they aren't going to plunked by coach/machine pitch to the wild west of player pitch. What I have seen countless times in that age group is players first assessing whether the pitch is going to hit them, then deciding whether or not to swing at it. They can get away with it when the ball is pitched slowly, but when pitching speeds start to increase, that HBP evaluation time doesn't leave them enough time to execute a good swing. As challenging as it may be in their head, before anything else, the intent needs to be HIT THE BALL!

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I call it pitching machine mentality. When a player hits in the cage with a pitching machine they are prepared (intentions) to swing 95-100% of the time. That's the same mentality you want them to have in the game.
Here is an experiment I have tried many times. In cage with accurate pitching machine, after the hitter has hit 7 or 8 in a row, secretly either turn machine off or kick the leg out producing a ball in the dirt or a ball well outside. Guess what? they don't swing. Following Sue Enquist advice is not that hard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl