Swing Critique? 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks for the kind words, really hope it translates this year! She's been working very hard and I hope she sees it pay off.

The deltoid drill, is that resting the barrel on her shoulder? I'm sure I can find it here. She has been really armsy.

Thanks for the reply!
Deltoid drill is a drill that Epstein was a proponent of. Since RH mentioned "elbow" up he probably didn't mean that but instead starting it on the trapezius a la George Brett:

evJh96J.gif

If you want to do that sort of work, have her keep it on there till she launches.

Dec 12, 2020
I think she swings best in overalls haha. I'd stick with hitting a tossed ball almost exclusively. Tee just for feels(if she needs any). The bat may be a bit large. The last thing you ever want is for them to lay it down and then swing it around. Some of those swings are close/reminiscent(before the overalls). Be careful! She has a lot going right.
Sometimes if we're just chilling wasting time around the house, I'll nonchalantly say "wanna swing or toss the ball?" While in her overalls she said "sure" so I hopped to it!

We'll keep emphasizing a tossed ball more and more.

The bat in the live scenario is a 30/17 Bustos, on the tee with her Xmas 29/18 CF. We are transitioning from a 29/16. I know we're a bit all over the place trying to figure it out. In the past month we went from one bat to one bat of each size

Jun 8, 2016
Your DD's swing reminds me a lot my DD's a year or two ago (and even now to some extent). She looks athletic but doesn't quite have the body awareness to use the athleticism yet. Keep throwing her a lot of front toss and mix in some tee/front toss drills which will help her figure out how to use the athleticism in the proper way. I've used the Babe Ruth drill (feet crossed version) of late with some success:

Try and have her set up with the shoulders and hips aligned and tell her to try and maintain that as she moves out.

Dec 12, 2020
Deltoid drill is a drill that Epstein was a proponent of. Since RH mentioned "elbow" up he probably didn't mean that but instead starting it on the trapezius a la George Brett:

evJh96J.gif

If you want to do that sort of work, have her keep it on there till she launches.
Pattar, thanks for the input.

A few days ago I introduced the idea to her, based on threads here on DFP, and she absolutely hated the feel. We mixed some in last evening and I thought she did well. She has been so focused on trying to get a stretch/separation at toe touch that I just think her feel is when she exaggerates it, but her arms get away from her and she gets kinda wild.

Last evening we did it all in very slo-mo, with the bat on her shoulder, and I think she was able to feel herself able to scap load with it there. She was definitely fighting the urge to throw her arms around though.

Quick note: I am very appreciate of everyone's input. So many responses from members that I have thoroughly enjoyed as I have scoured these boards!

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
She may not like the feel and she may lose a little speed/power (at first) but her contact rate and ability to hit line drives consistently will soar. And as she figures out how her core drives the ball her speed will improve too. That Brett video is priceless. He was a pretty good hitter too.
IMO, stopping her arms getting away from her and wildness you mention should be your number one goal. The Swingrail might help.

Jun 8, 2016
Pattar, thanks for the input.

A few days ago I introduced the idea to her, based on threads here on DFP, and she absolutely hated the feel. We mixed some in last evening and I thought she did well. She has been so focused on trying to get a stretch/separation at toe touch that I just think her feel is when she exaggerates it, but her arms get away from her and she gets kinda wild.

Last evening we did it all in very slo-mo, with the bat on her shoulder, and I think she was able to feel herself able to scap load with it there. She was definitely fighting the urge to throw her arms around though.

Quick note: I am very appreciate of everyone's input. So many responses from members that I have thoroughly enjoyed as I have scoured these boards!
Yeah with somebody like your daughter (and mine) you don't want to think about moving the arms/hands much to load because they will go overboard. Instead think more about "walking away" from the hands as they move out. In other words think more about keeping the hands still in space while getting into a slightly closed "attack" position with the shoulders. It will take some time as she gains better control of her limbs..be patient (unlike me.. :rolleyes: )

WriliDO.gif

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020
She may not like the feel and she may lose a little speed/power (at first) but her contact rate and ability to hit line drives consistently will soar. And as she figures out how her core drives the ball her speed will improve too. That Brett video is priceless. He was a pretty good hitter too.
IMO, stopping her arms getting away from her and wildness you mention should be your number one goal. The Swingrail might help.
Funny thing, I purchased the swingrail for her, maybe three years ago...it was way too soon. She never really rolled over, but she had a cast like Bill Dance. Maybe I'll pull it out, if I can find it.

Contact and line drives is our goal. She doesn't identify mentally as a hitter, I'm trying hard to hype her up enjoying this process and change that. I tell her she's a hitter if she says she is and works. That the results will come, be it this year or the next. I'm hoping she buys in. She hasn't experienced success, but in previous years we haven't put in the time. She's been our Ozzie Smith, a light hitting SS with great glove rhythm.

Getting consistent with hard contact, but even more, juat stepping to the plate with a commanding, confident presence would be a big step.

Dec 12, 2020
@pattar

Patience is a virtue I have available for about everyone but my own. Why is that??

Sometimes I do need to remember she has just turned 10, and she is still a small child just trying to figure it all out, and as you said, just trying to get and maintain control of her limbs. Because my mind and body can KINDA grasp ALL the info, that she should perfectly..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2