Swing Critique? 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
"Dad, guess this song." That is the little brother, and that was maybe the 85th time he said it, just to be followed by "drum" beats on the floor. Good times.

Thanks for the reply. We have been working on maintaining balance after the swing, with a 1 or 2 second hold. Definitely not evident there! I know I've watched that charismatic guy before, but I'll watch the video again...thank you.
Don't worry about the balance after the swing. You'll have her backing off of that big swing. Then she'll need to stay on her feet to beat it out to first. If she makes contact swinging like that she'll have no trouble getting on base.
Babe Ruth used to fall down swinging all the time.... but he was known for the homers.

Dec 12, 2020
Good morning DFP!

Hope everyone had/ is having a great holiday season.

We can not complain here, Santa even brought DD a new bat! She doesn't like it as much as the ipod she received, which I keep telling her is the ultimate practice motivator , which is followed by the ultimate eye roll...

Everyone has been so helpful, I thought I'd share an update with a couple more videos.

The first one is her first at-bats not off a tee since last summer. Wiffles from about 20'. This will be our biggest hurdle.
The second is the ending to some tee work yesterday, and the first time swinging her new bat.

Fearful of over-coaching and ruining the menacing portion of her swing, her only cue was to try to keep her hips closed/a coil through her stride. I don't want to throw much at her, but do want focused reps. Honestly, if we can transfer where she is on a tee to live pitching (hit or miss), I think it would be a tremendous step.

Thoughts? It is so much more difficult organizing a path when it is my own DD.

Again, really appreciate everyone's time!

Dec 12, 2020
Don't worry about the balance after the swing. You'll have her backing off of that big swing. Then she'll need to stay on her feet to beat it out to first. If she makes contact swinging like that she'll have no trouble getting on base.
Babe Ruth used to fall down swinging all the time.... but he was known for the homers.
I do want to keep the big swing, just want to transfer it to live pitching.

Dec 12, 2020
Depending on who you talk too, she might have an elite swing.

I do see issues.
I don't know how to decipher this?

I'm very interested in your opinion.

A lot of what we practice is based from information here, after somewhat following an online program, nothing specific for her.

I'm just a dad trying to procure what I can, and as long as she loves it, aim her in the right direction.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I don't know how to decipher this?

I'm very interested in your opinion.

A lot of what we practice is based from information here, after somewhat following an online program, nothing specific for her.

I'm just a dad trying to procure what I can, and as long as she loves it, aim her in the right direction.

I was just joking, Jamie from https://www.theswingmechanic.com/ says dropping the hands/barrel is a good thing.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Her swing is very good and well above average for a 10y/o. She is aggressive and her intentions are to do damage. So you are way ahead of the game. She does extend early (armsy) and cast the bat some. Deltoid drill- I like starting just before launch position. (elbow up and heel not yet planted) After a 7 or 8 swings (tee and/or front toss) from this position she should feel her obliques and abs getting tiring. Then she is launching correctly. Then try to that incorporate that feeling into her full swing.

Dec 12, 2020
Her swing is very good and well above average for a 10y/o. She is aggressive and her intentions are to do damage. So you are way ahead of the game. She does extend early (armsy) and cast the bat some. Deltoid drill- I like starting just before launch position. (elbow up and heel not yet planted) After a 7 or 8 swings (tee and/or front toss) from this position she should feel her obliques and abs getting tiring. Then she is launching correctly. Then try to that incorporate that feeling into her full swing.
Thanks for the kind words, really hope it translates this year! She's been working very hard and I hope she sees it pay off.

The deltoid drill, is that resting the barrel on her shoulder? I'm sure I can find it here. She has been really armsy.

Thanks for the reply!

Feb 25, 2020
I think she swings best in overalls haha. I'd stick with hitting a tossed ball almost exclusively. Tee just for feels(if she needs any). The bat may be a bit large. The last thing you ever want is for them to lay it down and then swing it around. Some of those swings are close/reminiscent(before the overalls). Be careful! She has a lot going right.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee