Struggling with Change Up with I/R Mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

My 11 yr old DD has been pitching for almost a year and has naturally gravitated to having good I/R in her delivery. Her location is good with the fastball but she struggles to throw any type of change up with accuracy and a big difference in speed than her FB. She has tried the backhand flip, "C" change and even a circle change with little to no success. Just wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions or is this something she is just going to have to work through to find one that works for her.

Thanks for the help.

Part Time Catcher

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Just pick one and stick with it. I send the girls home with a laundry basket of old softballs and I tell them to spend 20 minutes, twice a day, tossing change ups into the basket. Stand close so that you have some success and then, move back step by step.

Use the digital or video camera, so she can see her progression.

Then, get her mom, etc. to go stand at the plate like a batter. Have her again start close and back up.

I sometimes, then put a "batter" on each side of the plate.

Practice makes perfect. For back hand, I don't flip. My wrist is stiff and my thumb goes directly toward the glove.

Jun 7, 2012
I really like the Circle Change due to its natural delivery, but for an 11 year old that one is going to be really tough for her hands to handle yet. Personally, I'd keep the C or circle, spread the fingers a little bit more and push it deeper into the hand. The flip/flick would probably be a quicker fix in the short term, but unless she is throwing 67 at 19-20 years of age for Alabama (and I hope she is for you), she will eventually want a circle.

I converted one of my former pitchers (Chicago Tribune Player of Year in 2011 who is going to play for Lenti at DePaul in 2013) from a flip to a circle, and she uses it all the time now. She has a consistent 60-62 MPH FB (and she is a right hander), so the natural delivery and movement of the circle low/away to right-handed batters has become one of her mainstays. She is about 5'10", and she has large hands. When she was 11-14 years of age she always threw the flip but had trouble commanding it. Now, when she throws the circle, I always remind her to "pop" her fingers out at the release...call it popcorn with her as a memory aid.

One thing I constantly work on with my pitchers is changing the speed of the fastball...there is never any need to throw it the same exact speed ALL the time. If she can start to conquer this at 11, think about the movement she will have on it by age 14.

And whatever she feels is most comfortable for her should be the logical choice...all three changes can be thrown well with work. One thing I'd encourage is having her throw the one she wants to work on while just playing underhand catch with you...nice and easy, working on the grip, follow-through, and release...not getting too bent up about getting in a formalized pitching set-up, just nice underhanded playing catch back-and-forth with you making encouraging comments about how the ball is being released.

This is just all food for thought...good luck to both you and your DD.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
It's great that she's got natural IR on her fastball, but make sure she's not doing it on the change. As Screwball said the hand leads entering the throw zone on a change-up, and the hand pretty much maintains the same position as it travels to the front side, as opposed to turning over like the fastball. If your daughter is throwing the change too hard, I'm guessing she's not maintaining her hand position enough during delivery.

Picking one and sticking to it is a good idea too.

Thanks for all the great tips. Especially the one about varying speeds on the FB. She has better control with the circle but just doesn't take enough off yet. I think Carly and SB hit it on the head with stiff wrist and no I/R for the change. I never really had to teach the I/R part of the pitch but I think Ill have to teach it out for the change. Her first PC instructed her to follow through to the non-throwing shoulder and the second wanter her to finish out in front. Any opinions on follow through location for the change? Same as FB?

Really appreciate the feedback. We'll work on playing underhand catch with change ups and go from there. Plus she can spend some quality time throwing into buckets while Im at work. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Part Time Catcher

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes