Stride adjustments to bring the ball down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I was out watching a high school game today and heard something I thought was odd. The pitcher was throwing a little high at times, so her coach told her to lengthen her stride to "bring the ball down."

Seems to me lengthening the stride would have the opposite effect in softball. Generally speaking, if you're going to make a stride adjustment to throw a drop you shorten the stride. I've also seen it recommended to lengthen the stride to throw the rise, although if you're already pushing off as hard as you can and going out as far as you can normally, how could you lengthen the stride anymore? But I digress.

Am I missing something? Do any of you (or your pitching coaches) recommend lengthening the stride to bring the ball (presumably a fastball) down?

I will say I talked to a baseball pitching coach and he said that's what they do in baseball -- which has an overhand delivery. He didn't think it would apply to softball either.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When the ball is dropping in front of me, I say "Stride out there. It will come to me." When the ball sails over my head, I tell them to "drag their foot, it'll come down."

So, I agree with you.

Nov 11, 2009
I dont have any experience pitching a softball but when my dd throws high, usually she say she held on to the ball too long and adjusts. She doesnt shorten her stride for her drop but it is a work in progress.

Feb 17, 2011
too high or too low is a release point problem. a peel drop pitcher will shorten stride, just a hair, to get on top of ball and increase spin rate.

Jul 26, 2010
I think you have to be careful. Some pitchers might have stride inconsistencies, and their coaches might be aware of these inconsistencies and are able to offer cues for adjustment. However, over-generalization in this regard can be damaging. As dbias said, missing high or low is a release point adjustment problem. While stride can certainly effect release point, be careful about being a "parrot coach" and simply spouting out nonsense just because it makes one sound like they know what they're talking about.

Pay attention to your pitchers. Inaccuracy is all about inconsistency, if the pitcher is missing then she is doing something inconsistent with what she normally practices. This could be anything from slowing down, aiming the ball, to trying too hard and muscling the ball throwing off her stride and her arm motion, ect. The job of the coach is to bring her back inline with how she throws normally.

-W

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA