Straight Arm all the way through release - Please Help!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
especially because she starts from a static position..........

this is a fine detail that I overlooked when starting to work these IR drills with my DD.
we started from 9:00, palm up, and static;
and she would proceed to immediately rotate her hand downward and then push the ball through release.

keeping things dynamic do indeed help to perform the motion correctly...

Ken asked if I would expand on this pic.
What it displays is that the arm circle is not really a circle. You can see I've drawn a full circle which is indicative of where Sarahs ball hand would be if she simply locked out and threw with a straight arm throughout the entire pitch. The multiple small circles represent the actual path of the ball/hand as it progressed through its arm circle.......laying the two on top of each other should give a good visual of what arm whip does vs a long straight arm. Off course their is some forward body movement throughout this process so the difference may not be quite as dramatic as depicted....but it is not far off.

A second item you can take from the picture is the distance between circles. There is an equal number of frames(video shot at 300FPS) between each circle. Note how consistent the distance is as the ball hand progresses up to 12 o'clock (virtually the same arm speed).....then as the arm progresses downward from 12 o'clock the distances become increasingly longer.....especially after 9 o'clock. This is an indication of how the arm accelerates.....has a lot to do with the brush contact of the upper arm to ribcage side. As expected the ball hand hits its peak just before the forearm does its brush contact with the hip/thigh.
So, getting lots of arm speed early (on the way up) may not be advantageous if it can't be maintained on the way down....or if the whip energy isn't transferred efficiently (brush contact).

Hope this clears up a few things about arm circle/arm whip/brush contact.

Board Member is absolutely right with his drills.
Here's a pic that may be worth a 1000 words also.View attachment 4709

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2011
What's the spin look like? The way she's finishing short across her belly, it looks like she may be roling over the top of the ball like a roll over drop instead of letting it whip off the fingertips.

Yea I think the spin on those 2 throws did look more like a drop spin. After this I told her to try and lead with elbow keep right shoulder back and underneath. The spin starting getting better more like what Boardmember says is correct spin the INWARD/FORWARD SPIN

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Better. I still see some effort to make lower I/R happen vs allowing it to happen. Pull the ball--don't throw the ball. Let the whip happen.

Jun 13, 2011
Better. I still see some effort to make lower I/R happen vs allowing it to happen. Pull the ball--don't throw the ball. Let the whip happen.

I keep telling her to pull down, That is the thought I want her to have, she just has a hard time feeling it. She understands, she just has a hard time making her body do it!

Jul 14, 2008
Goetz.........This is outstanding.........I really like it........Definately some "POP/SNAP"..........I think the amount of effort she's using for such a short drill gives people the impression she's forcing a bit.......She isn't.......She's just trying to generate BIG SPEED from such a short sequence.........THAT'S A GOOD THING! She training the part that counts!

Is the ball spinning straight over or even slightly inward to the right? If so, let her take it up higher in the backswing.......Liberty high........

Film it.......I'd like to see it Liberty High and see how/if it affects anything........Or if her timing stays on track like this clip..........

Keep in mind I'm going at this drill at about 30% effort.......Because it's designed to train young people to discover I/R..........If I was going at it at 75+% I'd look a lot more forced/stiffer also........

262ttz5.gif

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2011
Goetz.........This is outstanding.........I really like it........Definately some "POP/SNAP"..........I think the amount of effort she's using for such a short drill gives people the impression she's forcing a bit.......She isn't.......She's just trying to generate BIG SPEED from such a short sequence.........THAT'S A GOOD THING! She training the part that counts!

Is the ball spinning straight over or even slightly inward to the right? If so, let her take it up higher in the backswing.......Liberty high........

Film it.......I'd like to see it Liberty High and see how/if it affects anything........Or if her timing stays on track like this clip..........

Keep in mind I'm going at this drill at about 30% effort.......Because it's designed to train young people to discover I/R..........If I was going at it at 75+% I'd look a lot more forced/stiffer also........

262ttz5.gif

Yes on the last round of 6 or 7 throws her spin was good. It was actually slightly to the right. We were using taped ball so I definitely saw improvement. I will have her try the liberty drill and see if she can maintain I/R. Thanks for everyone's input I appreciate it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish