Straight Arm all the way through release - Please Help!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2011
Goetz.........This is outstanding.........I really like it........Definately some "POP/SNAP"..........I think the amount of effort she's using for such a short drill gives people the impression she's forcing a bit.......She isn't.......She's just trying to generate BIG SPEED from such a short sequence.........THAT'S A GOOD THING! She training the part that counts!

Is the ball spinning straight over or even slightly inward to the right? If so, let her take it up higher in the backswing.......Liberty high........

Film it.......I'd like to see it Liberty High and see how/if it affects anything........Or if her timing stays on track like this clip..........

Keep in mind I'm going at this drill at about 30% effort.......Because it's designed to train young people to discover I/R..........If I was going at it at 75+% I'd look a lot more forced/stiffer also........

262ttz5.gif

Attempt at Liberty Drill.........

Lauren liberty 2 - YouTube

Jul 14, 2008
Transformation from pushing it to THROWING IT/WHIPPING IT........I'm assuming she can obviously feel the difference between pushing it and THROWING IT by now..........She's throwing the crap out of it........I'm very impressed........VERY impressed......

One short year ago she looked like this.........

Jun 13, 2011
Transformation from pushing it to THROWING IT/WHIPPING IT........I'm assuming she can obviously feel the difference between pushing it and THROWING IT by now..........She's throwing the crap out of it........I'm very impressed........VERY impressed......

One short year ago she looked like this.........

She still tends to lock out a little early and tries to PUSH with her shoulder on quite a few throws but looks like she is making progress. This was one of the better throws of the liberty drill. Lauren liberty 2 - YouTube I think she feels the difference but I"m not sure she totally feels or "gets" the the elbow part.

As you say.............

Take note of these pitchers stable vertical position of the turning upper arm.....And how the elbow stops advancing through the circle for a split second........

I will have her continue with the drills a while longer before she does full motion.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Do you happen to have any higher settings on you camera? I think better lighting (daylight) helps some point-n-shoots. It would be nice for me if the video was shot at a higher shutter speed and maybe a higher resolution?

Jun 13, 2011
Do you happen to have any higher settings on you camera? I think better lighting (daylight) helps some point-n-shoots. It would be nice for me if the video was shot at a higher shutter speed and maybe a higher resolution?

Was doing on my Iphone. I do have camera but dont know resolution or Shutter speed cabability. Ill check and see if I can get better quality video.

Jul 14, 2008
She still tends to lock out a little early and tries to PUSH with her shoulder on quite a few throws but looks like she is making progress. This was one of the better throws of the liberty drill. Lauren liberty 2 - YouTube I think she feels the difference but I"m not sure she totally feels or "gets" the the elbow part.

As you say.............

Take note of these pitchers stable vertical position of the turning upper arm.....And how the elbow stops advancing through the circle for a split second........

I will have her continue with the drills a while longer before she does full motion.

She isn't perfect. But.........She's doing really well........Keep up the great work.

Maybe a little exaggeration of arm whip from the "K" position would help. Check the video clip of Sarah posted in the Core Rotation Thread. Note the exaggeration of the arm bend/whip at the top.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
It might help to take her out to a pond and have her skip stones. There is no way to skip stones without a whip...

I've used a similar cue with some newer kids and so far, I like the result. This post had been rattling around in my head for some time and I finally used it-- thanks!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish