Stitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2011
Just about every time my 11yo daughter pitches, she gets a stitch in her right side (throws right-handed) as soon as she starts into the full arm circle. She starts with jogging around the field and some stretches, then throws lightly overhand for a few minutes. Partial circle warmups are fine, then when she gets to arm circle warmups or sometimes full motion, she has to stop and let the stitch go away. I guess it's that first stretching of her rib cage that brings it on. Once it goes away she's fine and she continues on, but it would be cool if it didn't show up in the first place. Any ideas on stretches or exercises to prevent it? Just growing?

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
Could result from various issues. What is her nutrition/liquid intake before she throws. Does this happen all the time? Sometimes a heavy intake of carbohydrate drink or fruit juice can cause this. Does she take short, quick breaths in general? or long, controlled breaths?

I have read in a few studies that the stitch is actually ETAP or Exercise Transient Abdominal Pain.. mostly seen in runners.. causing a spasm of the diaphragm when the right foot hits the ground during exhalation. The liver is on the right side just below the rib cage, so when the right leg hits the ground, the liver drops down and the diaphragm raises..causing a possible spasm.

If she was a lefty, landing on her right foot this may make more sense, but not sure. Maybe her breathing patterns are out of sequence when her arm is raised over her head, leading to this possible spasm.

I would try changing pre-practice meal and liquid intake to see if that makes a difference first and then if that doesn't change let me know.

Thanks,

Austin

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles