Stay or go? Are we crazy to even consider a move?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2015
DD is 12 - played on a 1st yr 12s team that was very successful last year in our state. Even against 2nd yr teams. DD has been with the same coach for 3 years. He loves her - told her if he could have 11 of her on his team he would have the perfect team. This team has not been without drama - but the coach is cutting about 1/2 the team loose and he has picked up 2 of DDs friends from other teams for next year. We have not committed yet - because her team is skipping 2nd year 12s and going straight to 14s. DD has a January birthday so I know if she was 18 days older she would HAVE to move up, but she can stay down if she wants. She is small - only 72lbs but I don't think she will ever get big. She catches and has been told she is HUGE behind the plate. She also plays centerfield. She bats 1st or 2nd and has always been in the top 9. She also plays other sports and HC has been more than willing to work with her.

The dilemma? We got a call today from another coach. He has tried to recruit DD for the past 3 years. We have known his family for 7 or 8 years. Great family. He will be combining with 2 other coaches - one of whom DD adores (he was our asst coach last year) and one whom we have heard not so great things about - but we really have no personal experience with him. They will be staying at 12s but playing mostly 14s tourneys. HCs team was very successful last year as well. HC told me "for your kid only - I will work with a multi sport athlete". He said he would love to work with the kid he considers the best catcher at 12U in our area. He was a catcher. The problem? All 3 of the coach's DDs are...yep...you guessed it ...pitchers.

So...what would you do? Stay? Or make a jump.

Aug 6, 2013
I would stay where you are - the first thing that caught my eye is "for your kid only - I will work with a multi sport athlete". while that sounds flattering that's trouble waiting to happen.
Unless its a sure thing I'd stay with the devil you know - If your daughter is a decent player I'm fairly sure your she will be fine with the move to 14U - especially with a January birthday -besides you said the other team was also going to play 14U tourneys.

I VOTE STAY

Apr 26, 2015
I would stay where you are - the first thing that caught my eye is "for your kid only - I will work with a multi sport athlete". while that sounds flattering that's trouble waiting to happen.
Unless its a sure thing I'd stay with the devil you know - If your daughter is a decent player I'm fairly sure your she will be fine with the move to 14U - especially with a January birthday -besides you said the other team was also going to play 14U tourneys.

I VOTE STAY

Yes - that was a bit concerning for me as well. I know he cut 3 soccer players last year. DD is a bit out of the ordinary - she has no interest in anything except playing ball. It doesn't matter what kind...softball, soccer, basketball, football, etc. She is a very committed athlete. I'm also concerned with how the new coach will deal with her possibly missing things. DDs current coach has her back and won't tolerate any talk from parents - he lets them know the arrangement is between us and him and does not involve them.

Apr 26, 2015
DD can't decide what she wants to do. She was pretty sure she wanted to stay with her current team until this new opportunity arose - just today. She was very excited about playing with her 2 friends from other teams. But she knows several girls on this new team as well.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Any kid with a Samsung phone that's 3 years old with take the new iphone that's brand new, but when they figure out they don't like it and want to go back the old phone might not work any longer. If the current coach has busted his butt for you and your DD and is also teaching and making your DD into a better PERSON and ball player each day then you are foolish to leave. This other guy will still be a family friend regardless of where your DD chooses to play, and if he's not he's probably not someone you should associate with anyway.

But if the current coach isn't making your DD a better PERSON and player then you might want to look elsewhere, I still wouldn't go to the 3 DD pitcher team.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
DD can't decide what she wants to do. She was pretty sure she wanted to stay with her current team until this new opportunity arose - just today. She was very excited about playing with her 2 friends from other teams. But she knows several girls on this new team as well.

I'd give her the pros and cons and let her decide.

IMO, if you've been on a team that has been good to you, and you have no real complaints, and the team that is pursuing you doesn't offer anything significantly better, then I believe there's something to be said for loyalty to a coach who has helped develop her and make her the player she is.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I would tend to vote stay as well. It sounds like you're currently in a very good situation, and while your daughter will be challenged moving up to 14U it will likely be good for her. I don't get a 12U coach saying "we will mostly be playing 14U tournaments." If that's the case, and you think your team is that good, why not just move straight up to 14U? So you can trophy hunt in 12U later, or face younger teams when it comes time for nationals?

Combining two or three teams would make me suspicious as well. What happened to all those other girls, and could it happen to your daughter.

Unless you have a compelling reason to leave, and it sounds like you don't, seems like your current team will be the best option. You can always pay the other coach to work with your daughter individually on her catching if you think he'll make that much of a difference for her (if he's willing). Best of all worlds then.

Apr 26, 2015
We have had complaints and issues in the past but currently things are pretty good. In the past DD has spent more than her fair share of time on the bench because the coach had stars in his eyes with a pitcher who at 10U would only throw to "her catcher". Those 2 created tons of drama and have since moved on. DD has been the starting catcher for the past 8 months and the coach has apologized multiple times. I think he knows he made a mistake and is trying to mKe things right. I guess I'm just a little concerned that "something better" will come along again. I'm not afraid of healthy competition for DD - in fact I welcome it as she does not want to ONLY play catcher. Plus she is great at pushing herself when she feels she is being outperformed. DD does really like HC.

I think we are leaning towards staying...just one of those crazy situations where you think what if???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32