Stay or go? Are we crazy to even consider a move?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
What caught my attention was "she's small, 72lbs", "the team will skip 2nd yr 12u and go to 14u", and "she is a catcher".

My DD is just finishing 1st year 14u and there are many girls that are the size of grown women and are very physical, strong, and intimidating. Most teams catchers at this age have above average height, weigh 135-150, with very strong arms.

Not saying your DD isn't up to the challenge but staying down in her age group might benefit her in the long run. Just my .02.

Apr 26, 2015
Yes, this ^^^^ was definitely something we considered as well. She is small and probably doesn't have much chance of ever being big. You would laugh if you saw how much this kid eats, but she just burns it all off. She never sits still. My guess is her time as a catcher is limited - I would venture to say that her future is in center field. She is fast and strong and has a cannon for an arm - but she's lefty so she's limited in the infield. Even playing some 12's (especially in tourneys like the Sparkler Jr) we have seen some girls who are big. She knows her size may come into play very shortly here. She does love center field as well, so that is good. For the time being she will continue to catch but we all realize it may not be for long. I definitely appreciate the perspective - and your .02!

In a way I wish her current team would stay at 12s, but the new girls who have committed to the team are all 2nd yr players and the 1st yr players who have been asked back are all strong players. I have to remind myself that if DD was 18 days older she wouldn't have a choice but to move up. We are kind of limited right now by geography. There are 3 teams in the area that DD would consider. Her current team, the one I mentioned above and another new 12U 2nd yr team team - but knowing some of the players who are going to that team I think DD may be frustrated at the level of play. If we were willing to drive 60-90 minutes our options would be much greater, but we have 3 kids in activities and DD plays multiple sports which means many nights she goes from one practice to another - so until she decides which sport is THE one (of course I hope it's softball), or until she can drive, we need to stay close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32