Stay or go? Are we crazy to even consider a move?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
+2 for staying.

I have a uneasy feeling this would end up one of those...I thought the grass was greener on the other side stories.

Your current situation sounds "very good" but you are hoping to make it "great"....many on this board will tell you if you find a "very good" situation STAY PUT

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
If your DD is a catcher and all of team #2 coaches daughter are pitchers you will quickly find that no matter how good she is every wild pitch will be a passed ball and she will quickly get tired of hearing the coaches get on her about blocking. My #2 DD is going through that now. She ages off the team this year and we are moving to a team that none of the coaches have DD that pitch. I vote for her to stay put with team #1 for this an the reasons listed above by other posters.

Apr 26, 2015
If your DD is a catcher and all of team #2 coaches daughter are pitchers you will quickly find that no matter how good she is every wild pitch will be a passed ball and she will quickly get tired of hearing the coaches get on her about blocking. My #2 DD is going through that now. She ages off the team this year and we are moving to a team that none of the coaches have DD that pitch. I vote for her to stay put with team #1 for this an the reasons listed above by other posters.

Lol! Very good point! :)

Jun 12, 2015
+2 for staying.

I have a uneasy feeling this would end up one of those...I thought the grass was greener on the other side stories.

Your current situation sounds "very good" but you are hoping to make it "great"....many on this board will tell you if you find a "very good" situation STAY PUT

I agree, good = stay unless there is a very compelling reason not to. The unknown is not necessarily a good thing and there are a few red flags here, including the "just for your kid" thing. That would make me suspicious and uneasy. JMO.

Nov 29, 2009
He will be combining with 2 other coaches - one of whom DD adores (he was our asst coach last year) and one whom we have heard not so great things about - but we really have no personal experience with him.

You have the makings of nitroglycerine right there. The fuse is all three of their DD's are pitchers. Stay FAAAAAARRRRR away from that. I bet you'll be back here at this time next year telling everyone about how that team imploded and the coaches were all fighting among themselves.

If a coach has a poor reputation that precedes him and you don't know him. That's a HUGE neon red flag. Have your DD stay where she's at. She'll be in a no-win situation on the new team. If any of the pitchers are pitching bad it'll be her fault. If she misses due to other sports it'll be her fault for not being there if they lose.

I know it's tough when the "friends" thing comes into play with girls. Right now you need to make the decision for her based on your knowledge of the situation as an adult and parent. She needs to understand that she'll make new friends on the teams she'll be on in the future. If the other girls are mad at her for where she is playing, they were never real friends.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Stay. That multi sport for your dd thing is going to cause drama. Either the coach will regret it, or other parents will make it an issue.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I have to agree with a majority of the posters. Stay. Not only will 3 coaches with DD's as pitchers cause drama and hard feelings, the combination of 3 separate teams indicates that the coaches will end up in squabbles since everyone of them will have their favorites and want them to play certain positions that they played for them on their previous teams. This will ultimately end up in disaster for the team.

The other comment that was made about making an exception for your DD also has me concerned. I would be leery of this simply because many of the parents will turn this into an issue. Depending upon the coach, they may either fold due to the pressure or stand up to them. You have a coach now that you know will do the right thing and stand up for your DD. Just remember, often times the grass is greener on the other side of the fence because it's usually fed with bulls#!t.

Apr 26, 2015
Thank you all for your input - you pretty much confirmed what we were thinking.
We sat down with DD tonight and listed the pros and cons. I knew which way I was leaning but I wanted DD to give her thoughts as well. We told her she could think on it over the weekend and give us an answer on Monday. She said - "I don't need until Monday, my mind is made up - I'm staying with XXX" (her current coach). Yay! Settled and done. I do have to call the other coach back here soon, which is never fun. But I'm glad it was such a quick and easy decision.

Nov 29, 2009
I do have to call the other coach back here soon, which is never fun. But I'm glad it was such a quick and easy decision.

Shouldn't be a hard thing to do. "Hello Coach, I just wanted to let you know that after a lengthy family discussion my DD has decided to stay with her current team. Thanks for the offer, she really appreciates it." There's no need for any long explanations. If you do that you just give the coach a chance to try and convince you your decision is wrong.

Glad to hear your DD is mature enough to see and understand a probable bad situation in front of her. Good Luck to her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1