Softball Christmas ideas

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Was bored and was looking what the facilities around me were offering in the way of clinics. Found a 6 week pitching clinic for $130, meets once a week for an hour. It has exceeded my expectations.

Not sure where you live but if you have any sports facilities around check if they have a reasonable priced pitching clinic.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I think a batting tee and net are two absolute essentials. Also essential, in my opinion, is a bucket of balls. If you have a bucket of balls you can learn to pitch to her. You can run fielding drills, practice long tee hitting, etc. Softball Sales practice balls are pretty good.

On practice balls, Play it Again sports is a great place to pick up used cheap softballs. You need to pick through them to get the good ones but at $2.00 a pop you can't beat the price.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
My DDs use the Jugs 5-point hitting tee. The only problem we've had in 4+ years is the tube is starting to split. Which brings me to a question for Ken (sorry to threadjack)...

No, I have not. The overall structure looks similar to the top of the Tanner tee, though. What I like about the Tanner is the part at the top is thin, rolled piece of rubber which makes it pretty indesctructable. It has a lot of give to it. This one looks like it could be pretty durable too, and maybe extend the life of your tee a bit longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 11, 2010
I have two Schutt tee toppers. We broke one in cold weather right away and the other hung in there and we are still using it. It slowly works it's way up out of the tee tube and I keep meaning to throw some tape on it, but it is O.K.

I have a Schutte travel tee with a black thin rubber top, that is a decent tee and I fixed an old cheap tee by rolling a piece of an old inner tube up in a cone and taping it to the tee. That is the best of all of them IMO.

I want a couple of Tanner tees but just haven't popped on spending the money.

May 29, 2011
My comment is Christmas related but not exactly about softball items. I apologize in advance for a "stray" question but I knew this forum would have parents of daughters close to my kid's age and when I read that someone suggested the Jennie Finch book, Throw Like a Girl, which I thought was a great idea by the way, I figured I could squeeze my little question in here:). My 10 year old softball player is an avid reader...softball and books, those are her loves. But I've held off from buying actual books for her this year because I am considering a kindle or nook for Christmas and was wondering if any of you had daughters around this age that had an e-reader or used yours. My husband suggested it last year but I thought she was too young and I was wary of taking the "magic" of reading a real book away...still am sort of:) I've researched both kindle and nook (a lot) but most reviews are just about the device itself. I'm interested in whether or not my 10 year old might find this appealing. Any thoughts or info?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
10YOA DD asked for a nook for xmas., we already have it purchased. She has gone to 4 author signings in the last 2 weeks, not sure how this works for electronic devices.

I do not think she will read more because she has an electronic device, but I am pretty sure she will not read less.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish