So you decided to get a hitting instructor

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
instead of developing hitting on your own
Decided to go the instructor route.
What age and why?

May 27, 2013
Dd was 14, just finished her sophomore fall travel season, she wanted to move from the right side to become a lefty-slapper. Payed off big time for her.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Dd was 14, just finished her sophomore fall travel season, she wanted to move from the right side to become a lefty-slapper. Payed off big time for her.
Curious, did she learn to hit lefty in the conventional manner too? Or just focus on slapping?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
There is so much good (free) info online, including right here at DFP I am still my DD's HI for the most part. She has been to a few instructor over the years but mostly as an evaluation and confirmation. Pick up a tip or drill she might try. Her HS coach is a well respected instructor so if she tells me something he told her at practice I will incorporate the advice into her instruction. I don't think hitting is rocket science and I believe there is more than one way to hit rockets. Basic mechanics are important but if you regularly go to a hitting instructor and they don't review your game swing ABs and discuss your approach (mental and physical) you should find another instructor.
The biggest change in my DDs swing came when she was about 10 years old from Justin Stone video. (Free) She was a successfully ABAF (all back, all forward) hitter but when she learned to move out as hands went back (scap load) she became much more proficient. This Forward yet back move was confirmed in a private lesson from an instructor who was Nolan Aronado's HI when he was in HS.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
MN
There is so much good (free) info online, including right here at DFP I am still my DD's HI for the most part. She has been to a few instructor over the years but mostly as an evaluation and confirmation. Pick up a tip or drill she might try. Her HS coach is a well respected instructor so if she tells me something he told her at practice I will incorporate the advice into her instruction. I don't think hitting is rocket science and I believe there is more than one way to hit rockets. Basic mechanics are important but if you go to a hitting instructor and they don't review your game swing ABs and discuss your approach (mental and physical) you should find another instructor.
Good point about the game swings. This spring I watched one HS kid in particular have great swings in practice, driving rope after rope. Then in the game look like she was trying to hit fungo pop-ups to the catcher.

May 13, 2023
There is so much good (free) info online, including right here at DFP I am still my DD's HI for the most part. She has been to a few instructor over the years but mostly as an evaluation and confirmation. Pick up a tip or drill she might try. Her HS coach is a well respected instructor so if she tells me something he told her at practice I will incorporate the advice into her instruction. I don't think hitting is rocket science and I believe there is more than one way to hit rockets. Basic mechanics are important but if you regularly go to a hitting instructor and they don't review your game swing ABs and discuss your approach (mental and physical) you should find another instructor.
The biggest change in my DDs swing came when she was about 10 years old from Justin Stone video. (Free) She was a successfully ABAF (all back, all forward) hitter but when she learned to move out as hands went back (scap load) she became much more proficient.

This Forward yet back move was confirmed in a private lesson from an instructor who was Nolan Aronado's HI when he was in HS.
Why did you go to in person instruction? Did you purposely go to instructor that you agreed with what they were teaching? Purposely For confirmation?
Or was that just random that it was confirmation of something you already liked?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Why did you go to in person instruction? Did you purposely go to instructor that you agreed with what they were teaching? Purposely For confirmation?
Or was that just random that it was confirmation of something you already liked?
Couple of players (twins) I knew in rec ball that were were very good hitters and I inquired to whom they hit with so I thought I give him a try.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
We have a hitting instructor in this area that is very good. He gives hitting instructions to 8 out of the 9 players on the High School team that just won the 4A high school championship in Illinois. He also works with a large percentage of the girls in this area that are Beverly Bandit players. Don't get wrong, there are some kids that he gives lesson to that are not great softball hitters but he certainly gets good results in many cases.

My daughter has been going to hitting lesson with this guy since she was 12 years old, so about 3 years.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619